We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Quebec to Montreal

Puerto Rico
12 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Quebec to Montreal

Hi, It will be my first time in Quebec I will arrived on sept 26, Im thinking drive from Quebec to Montreal on Saturday morning the 27 just to see for the first time this city, but I have to get back to Quebec the same day(next day the 28 have a cocktail at 6PM in Quebec) I wonder if it is a good idea to do and tell me the best road to get there, gracias

Juan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

I would take the train if I were you, for a one day trip. You're going to be spending more time trying to find a place to park your car in Montreal than actually seeing the city. Plus the stress of driving back and forth in one day. Central Station in Montreal is 15 walk to anything downtown and15 minute walk to Old Montreal and the port area. Trust me.... You'll thank me! Have fun.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

It's a 2.5 hour drive each way, and not the most scenic. You're better to take the train as noted above, or the bus. Advantage of bus is more departures.

http://www.orleansexpress.com/en/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

Note... If you do take the bus you will be walking for miles... Bus dépôt is at Berri street. A distance from downtown core. Advantage of train is that you are central. You can see city centre AND Old Montreal.. Plus train has nicer bathroom and bar service!

Edited: 31 August 2014, 14:21
Puerto Rico
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

Gracias, I will check departures on a Train :)

Puerto Rico
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

The big disadvantage of the train is that the service is not frequent. On your chosen day there are only 3 departures from Québec City and only 2 from Montréal. The maximum that you could do would be to take the Québec City departure at 7h45, arrival in Mtl around 11 and return from Montréal at 18h25.

So it will leave you just a bit more than 6 hours to really visit and as much time on the train. By the way business class is very nice but certainly not necessary at 7h45 in the morning but for the return business class includes a nice meal served airplane style with wine, liquors, etc. included. That helps passing an hour or so.

Buses have departures every hour, on the hour from Montréal and on the half hour from Québec City almost all day long. First departure from Qc on your day will be at 6h30 and last departure from Montréal at 23h.

Train is by Via Rail and bus by Orléans Express, both depart from the same place in Québec City (Gare du Palais) but if in Montréal the train station is downtown the Berry intercity bus terminal sits just on top of the main transfer point for our metro (subway) so it is really not a problem to go almost everywhere.

Puerto Rico
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

Ok but will be better driving to Montreal? I already rent a car to do this trip, It will be 2 hour maybe a little more just to be there at 11AM then go back to Quebec at 5PM. Will be available parking on downtown, will be worth doing this!!!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

To go to Montreal and be back at 6pm in Québec... is not really worth it... If you leave Quebec city in the early morning bus, like 6 am... you will get to Montreal around 9..maybe later with morning traffic..... and to return late afternoon.. latest to leave Montreal would be 2 pm. (again.. traffic is possible).. to be where you have to be at 6.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,339 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

I don't understand your timing. You say you arrive in Quebec City on the 26th. You want to go to Montreal on the 27th, but don't have to be back in Quebec City until 6pm on the 28th ... you have plenty of time... could even stay the night in Montreal and drive .back on the 28th

Puerto Rico
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Quebec to Montreal

jaja I already pay the Hotel night of 27 that why I have to go back the same day the 27, maybe try to go driving and departure from Montreal at 4PM to Quebec let see what happen :))