We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about best time

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Question about best time

I would like to get some opinions on the absolute nicest time of year to visit Montreal. I was going to come up this past July but had to cancel.

I am going to definitely plan on coming up within the next year. Staying in Old Montreal....best time is???

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about best time

June 30 to July 10.

1. The Jazz Festival starts from this time for 10 days.

2. July 01 is Canada Day, so there is a parade, fire-works etc.

3. Comedy Fest. also starts sometime around the first week of July.

Weather wise, we have July and we have winter :-0)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about best time

The 24th of June is St-Jean Baptiste, which is Québec's holiday: it's a little different, there's traditionally been a parade but it's much more local with each neighbourhood having its own block party.

There are fireworks all summer on Wednesays and Sundays as part of the fireworks competition, so no need to come especially for July 1st.

The worst time is April, when all the snow has melted and the city's filthy. May is all right, except that there are no leaves in the trees and the flowers aren't out yet -- that happens late May-early June, which is a wonderful time to come if you like walking, less so if you want to be amused because Montreal's still waking up from winter and the festival season hasn't start yet, no fireworks yet, the botanical garden isn't in full spectacular bloom...

Mid-July to mid-August can be tricky -- if you arrive during a heatwave, it's dreadfully hot and sticky and walking around is not much fun at all.

I particularly like September-October because I love autumn, the high tourist season is over so Old Montreal calms down and belongs once again to the residents, and it's still warm enough to sit on a terrasse sipping coffee and people watch, which is Montreal's favourte past-time.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about best time

Just FYI: coming from Jersey, you won't find it oppressive here in the summer. The humidity is much lower than where you live, even during our heat waves.

I particularly love late June. Everything is blooming, the outdoor markets are full of flowers and local produce, and everyone is walking around with smiles on their faces. The jazz festival starts in late June--it runs for 2 weeks--and it is a really fun time to be here, even if you're not a jazz fan. That does make it harder to find a hotel, though.

As Tristou says, avoid April. I would say the same for November, when the sun seems to set at 3:30 and it is always nasty and grey.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about best time

Sylvie I completely agree with you about November, I feel it exactly the same way as you do. I am sure we are not the only two, most people may have the feeling as us.

The days in April are much longer than November and the most important thing is: April brings us bloom hope and November brings gloom and depression. So, the difference between April and November is like that of a day and night. But, I never go underground or stay indoors during winter, I'll probably die if I stay indoors. :-)

USA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about best time

I am visiting Montreal to attend a conference next week (5th of November), any thoughts on where to go and what to visit.

I didn't have choice on selecting this time of the year. It just happend to be like that.

Any ideas???

6. Re: Question about best time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 22:18