We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days shopping in montreal, I need help

canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Two days shopping in montreal, I need help

I will be in Montreal this Saturday and Sunday and am planning to Christmas shop. I am looking for some stores and can not find any thing on the net. Brand name clothes (discount) also Shabby chic style home decor stores for pictures , lighting etc.(thesestores are usually found in antique malls.

Also some one told me there isa street in Montreal where designers sell cheap only on Saturdays. Does any one know where this is and if it is worth checking out. I have been to Montreal before but never left St. Catherine street.

Should I shop in old Montreal?

Thanks

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days shopping in montreal, I need help

I don't have much info on discount shopping, not my style.

You will found lots of antique stores on antique row on Notre-Dame West - way past old montreal.

another spot to check out would be Avenue Mont-Royal (between St. Laurent and Papineau), lots of vintage shops, etc.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days shopping in montreal, I need help

Hi taia

I can't help you much with a street where designers are supposed to sell cheap on Sat., maybe someone else can, if such a thing actually exists. I know you may buy discount clothes directly from the factories on Chabanel St, on St-Laurent St north of Crémazie (nearest subway station being Crémazie), but not necessarily on Sat. only, each of them has its own public opening hours.

You might want to pay a visit to the annual arts & craft exhibition ("Salon des Métiers d'Art"), held in Place Bonaventure (subway station: Bonaventure, on the orange line). There are hundreds of stands with a very wide variety of hand-made items, many of them for decoration purposes (leather goods, even framed leather fine works, jewels, collector purses, lamps, glass, etc - you name it - they have it!). It is high quality and unique stuff, not granny-type of thing at all. I was there last week, and enjoyed my visit a lot. Open from 11AM daily. See www.salondesmetiersdart.com.

Shopping in Old Montreal? IMO, only if you want tourist souvenirs, or can afford pricey art work.

You might find some ideas in this recent thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k85261…

Other than that, I would recommend shopping on St-Denis St., north of Sherbrooke. St-Laurent and Mont-Royal St are interesting, too.

Oh, and if you ever need to find unique, unusual mirrors, pay a visit to the store called "Ô miroir!" on St-Laurent St.

Montreal
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days shopping in montreal, I need help

Local designers have these "Invitation only" sales on weekends in remote locations.

It's quite hush hush, and it's only heard through "the grapevine".

I haven't heard anything for this weekend. The last ones I heard about had Report Collection and Rudsak (leather stuff).

I've also heard about vintage haute couture sales in remote locations, but the girl that told me this hasn't replied to my request for more information.

I agree with Platipus that Mont-Royal street from St-Laurent east til Papineau is a great street to shop. I picked up a vintage Dior tie in one of those shops and some other cool items.

Old Montreal is for airport souvenirs and expensive art galleries and local deisgners that price things quite high.

montreal
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days shopping in montreal, I need help

You're talking about chabanel and the surrounding streets, it's direct from the manufacturer shopping on Saturdays but it's not store after like downtown it's all spread out.

5. Re: Two days shopping in montreal, I need help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 13:19