We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in Quebec City with elderly parents

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
NYE in Quebec City with elderly parents

Hello all. My family and I are going to Quebec City for New Years. It is our first time there and we are staying at the Chateau Frontenac. I checked and the hotel does have a ball, but given that we are 8, including 2 children (8 and 10), we want to see what other options are there that we can all attend as a family.

I know of the fireworks and party at the Grand Allee, however, wondering if there are any venues/parties from which the fireworks can be enjoyed without being outside. My father is in his late 70s and given other health problems, cannot be expose to very cold weather for long. I read that on the Grand Alleee there are heated terraces, but not sure if they are filled quickly and/or if they provide enough heat, which is why looking for some indoor alternatives/options.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from US$91.10*
Best Seller
Montmorency Falls and...
892 Reviews
from US$45.50*
Best Seller
Quebec Old City Walking Tour with...
674 Reviews
from US$24.54*
2 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE in Quebec City with elderly parents

I think that the balls at Château Frontenac, yes there are more than one, could be great for adults but you could organize some kids night in your room and if you are located high enough in the main tower and have rooms facing the city, not the river you will be able to see the fireworks.

I suggest that you call the concierges at the Château and arrange something with them. They will know what the good spots, unusual places etc will be. They willl also have ideas about the diffferent bars and how the kids will be percieved.

Another suggestion could be the réveillon (French style late upscale supper) at Ciel, the rotating restaurant of Le Concorde hotel. They are right in the middle of Grande Allée. The only caveat is that it might have problems accessing cabs due to the street closure for the party. That is if your father cannot walk back to the Frontenac which is a 15 minutes walk on flatland but might take longer then due to the crowd.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE in Quebec City with elderly parents

Definitely check with the concierge. Personally, I would bring the kids to a ball (they have to learn sometime!), and I am sure the Chateau has something organized that will appeal to that age group.

Reply to: NYE in Quebec City with elderly parents
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted