We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

PJ,Selangor
1 post
Save Topic
Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

I'm a Malaysian and my family of 4 intend to travel from Boston to Quebec City on 28 May 2008 by bus or train.Will appreciate if someone could advise me on the best mode of transport and provide the necessary information/details.

Thanks.

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from US$91.10*
Best Seller
Montmorency Falls and...
892 Reviews
from US$45.50*
Best Seller
Quebec Old City Walking Tour with...
677 Reviews
from US$24.54*
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,788 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

Hi;

You can look-up all the details online.

For bus service, see Greyhound Bus Lines website.

www.greyhound.com

For passenger train service, have a look at Amtrak.

www.amtrak.com

Best Regards

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

Ho JohnPJU, welcome to the forum : ))

I do not know if Amtrak, the US railways company, offers that possibility. I know their trains arrive in Montreal, and take a VERY long time (NewYork -> Montreal in 14 hours has been seen). Search under www.amtrak.com

Greyhound coaches offer to transport you from Boston to Montreal (it takes 7 hours, or 7h30 min depending of the time of departure). You can travel from Montreal to Qc City by intercity bus (2h45min), you just have to connect buses in the same station in Montreal. Search www.greyhound.com. I have simulated a one-way journey between Boston and Montreal on May 28, for 2 adults and 2 kids. It gave: Regular fare (for 4) $191.70 - Buying tickets 7 days ahead of time: $172. - Buying tickets 14 days ahead of time $160. For 4 people, 1-way.

For the Montreal > Qc City leg of the journey, search www.orleansexpress.com. There are departures every hour from both cities, downtown to downtown.

For the total hassle, time-consuming ground transportation, and cost, it might be worth it to contemplate a direct flight Boston > Qc City.

Mtl, Qc, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

I would not go to Quebec from Boston by plane. The bus is your better option for price and reliability. As stated by Eirelover the bus from Boston to Montreal would cost 160$ for the whole family if you buy 14 days in advance. The bus trip last 7h and you can leave either at 8:00am, 10:00am, 2:45pm or 11:45am (night trip). When you'll get in Montreal you'll have to take another bus to Quebec and it would cost 140$ for the whole family. Final price for the bus is 400$, 7hours to Montreal + 3hours to Quebec.

There is no direct flight between Boston and Quebec City. You have to stop either in New York or Montreal for the shortest trip (4hours) and it's at least 250$ per person. Considering you have to be there 2 hours in advance to pass custom, boarding and all the stuff I think it's not worth the price (1000$ for 4).

Philippe

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

Delta Airlines will offer direct flights Boston > Qc City starting June 13. At the moment (as far as I know) if you chose to fly, it's a nightmare as it implies going through ... 3 airports, each way.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

Hiya,

We have spent weeks searching several transport alternatives over a similar route. There is NO straightforward from Boston to Quebec. With Amtrak you change trains mid-way - Schenectady, NY (SDY?? - to join the Maple Leaf route to Montreal where you either catch Orleansexpress or Viarail to Quebec.

Our route in Canada uses mainly Viarail as its companion fare is generous - like two persons travelling on one fare. Check out viarail.ca for details. Where the timetables are not so convenient, we do the local buses like Greyhound.

You can also drive from Boston to Quebec - a more direct way if one can handle the traffic which we decided we rather not do.

Bon Voyage,

Sunny

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

Eirlover, that is great news on the new flight from Boston to QC which I did not know. I love the drive but sometimes you want to get there just a little quicker. Thanks

7. Re: Travel from Boston to Quebec City by bus or train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City