We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Northern Virginia...
8 posts
Save Topic
Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Hi all, thank you for the wonderful information. I will be driving from Virginia to Quebec city the 1st week in august and am starting my search to see what to see, where to stay, and where to eat. I appreciate the info on this site, but we would very much also visit the country side. I would be thankful for all the information that comes my way.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Hi Rad1VA,

The first week of August is the busiest week of the year, so in order to have a good choice of hotel should book now! I would suggest to look in upper town because it is in walking distance of Old Port and Grande-Allée. Hotels like Auberge Place D'Armes

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155033-d518476… that has a very good restaurant and include breakfast in their rates, also cheap parking at 14$ per day under City Hall, Hotel Le Clos St-Louis, Hotel Ste-Anne, Hotel Clarendon but again but rapidly... Reading the top 10 on Hotels, Restaurants and B&B on trip advisor will also help you out...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Rad1VA:

I am also from Northern Virginia and traveling to Quebec the first week of August! I found this website that had some helpful information.

www.bonjourquebec.com

Hope you have a great trip!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

We have some great events this summer :

1) two "Cirque du Soleil" shows in August

www.quebecregion.com/e/cirque-du-soleil.asp

2) "Le moulin à images" :

www.quebecregion.com/e/moulin-images.asp

Quebec City Tourism website : http://www.quebecregion.com/e/index.asp

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

First week of August is also time for the New France Festival, a popular medieval-themed event that takes place in the Old Town. A fair, a parade, some music and reenactements and a lot of costumes - usually a lot of locals attended in their own costume made for this event, so the fun is not only with the comedians... a must, I believe. Most is free but one area of the Festival (the fair) requires a fee to attend (you buy your access once for the whole time the Festival goes on).

This year, it's from Aug. 5 to 9 (Wedn. to Sunday).

Infos here : http://www.nouvellefrance.qc.ca/en

Also, first week of August is the middle point of the firework competition held at the Montmorency Falls. Shows are on Wednesday and Saturday nights, reserved seats or general stand-up admission (I personnaly always opt for the seats as it is crowdy). Shows start at 9:30 pm, last about 30 minutes and with the setting (the Falls) and the music, it's pure magic, really worth the expense. A very good shuttle system is set up for transportation from downtown (and other venues as well) - just don't go by your own means, traffic jams are bad out there.

http://www.lesgrandsfeux.com/en/

So I would save time for these two events for sure (actually, you can't miss the one held in Old town, but you might one to look at the schedule to catch the parade and other special events within the festival).

St-lambert
Level Contributor
911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Hello

Yes do book your stay ASAP, as Quebec city is very busy. Of course you need to walk in the Old Town, lots of restaurant. Walk on the promenade Dufferein for a view of our Majestic St-Laurent and Chateau Frontenac, and also do a picnic or walk "Les plaines d'Abraham". Grande Alle street, lots of restaurants, and big terasse, and bars for nightlife. Also Cartier street in the Montcalm distric, restaurant and bars, also nice neighborhood, also distric St-Roch wich is in the lower ville, nice area. If you want to do a day drive,then go to Mont-St Anne, about 30 minutes, they have summer chairlift that bring you on top for other nice view and stop at the "Chute Montmorency on your way their. And wonder around during the Festival Nouvel France, Aug5-8.

Take the ferry on foot,that does Quebec-Levis a nice $1.00 ride for view of the Citadelle and Chateau Frontenac.

Voila

Enjoy our beautiful capital

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Hi Rad1VA;

Just a reminder…You now require one of the following to cross the border by LAND;

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

For more details, read the “Crossing the Border” Traveler Article here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

Best Regards

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Hi Rad1VA and welcome to the forum : )

May I ask what you have in mind when you write

"we would very much also visit the countryside" ? Visit as in: drive around and see how farmers use the land? as in: let's go to a few places in the countryside but near the city, where it's possible to taste/buy cheese or various products directly on the farm? or as in: driving around while looking at scenery? Any particular interests you would like to share, so we could be of better assistance? What do you priorize when it comes to place where to eat?

Do not worry about your coming during the 1st week of August - it's no busier then than it is in July when we are having the Summer Festival, or than mid- to end of September when crowds of tourists from Europe (among other places) come to see the spectacular changes in colour foliage. Not suggesting to wing it and come unprepared, but just so you know.

Waiting for more precisions from your part

Regards

Eirelover

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
434 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

SB Enfrance suggested that you go visit Mont Sainte-Anne, which is a good idea if you want to see the countryside. The country area between Quebec city and Mont Saint-Anne is called Côte de Beaupré. Here is their tourist website:

http://www.cotedebeaupre.com/en/index.php

Just before arriving in Mont Sainte-Anne, you have a big pilgrim basilica in Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré. It is famous all around the world and very beautiful outside and inside. There are also other things to visit such a vineyard and a mill in Château-Richer. I suggest that you go along Avenue Royale. It is a very old road with very old houses. Very beautiful. My mom is from that area.

Northern Virginia...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Thank you all for your excellent input, I hope that there is a feature in here to print the entire trail. What I mean by visiting the country side? All the things you presented: driving around regaling in beautiful scenery, aller manger dans un bistrot de campagne, eat cheese and bread from local shops, cross rivers, I hope this is all doable. Thanks again, and for the french speakers, merci et a bientot.

Northern Virginia...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming to Quebec City for a week first week in August

Wow hope you have a great trip too. If you see a gray VW wagon Diesel Honk :-)