We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yardley...
Level Contributor
145 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

My wife and I will be driving from philadelphia to quebec city and spending 4 days at auberge st antoine. We expect to see the ile d'orleans montmorency falls and st anne canyon on day trips from the city. Any thoughts on whether a day or two in the area of meuricie national park is worthwhile or would an excursion to tadoussac to whale watch be more exciting and enjoyable? I have tried to research the meuricie but just cannot get a good feel for whether it will be a disappointment or a great experience. may i add we are not hikers but love most us national parks and the ability to view wildlife even if from the comfort of the car. thanks for any input. PS we will be in Qc june 21-24 .

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

Your travel dates coincide with the feast of St John the Baptist (24th June) and it seems it's a big celebration in Quebec, same as here in Catalonia. Lucky you!

I am also looking at the area east of Quebec for a trip in August and have Tadoussac/Saguenay Fjord as a must for us: the chance to see belugas in the wild appeals to the whole family and the scenery of the fjord too. And the drive throughCharlevoix is supposed to be very pretty too. But I'll be interested to see comments from the experts on La Mauricie as I still have to work out the rest of our itinerary.

Later, after visiting Montreal also, we head to Thousand Islands where my brother and family will join us for a week, driving up from their home in Yardley PA!!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
145 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

lynda. it is an amazing small world as i am also from yardley. enjoy your trip.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

Hi spiegs88,

While La Mauricie is a beautiful park, I would opt for the whale-watching option. La Mauricie should be seen on foot, bicycle or by cross-country ski, or if by car, in the autumn when the colours are at full peak. Unfortunately this does not coincide with your dates.

JQ

NDG
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

I would agree, La Mauricie is wonderful, but maybe not what you're looking for, if you're not a hiker or into water sports such as kayaking. Also, if you've already been to northern New England, or the Adirondacks, I'm guessing you might be disappointed as a "National Park" experience (I think I know what you mean - we immediately think of places like Yellowstone out west when we hear these words).

Tadoussac might be the thing for you if you've never done whale watching, but I'll add one more, that could easily be a day-trip from Quebec City.

There is a riverboat discovery cruise at the Québec provincial park (which we also call "National parks" here) called "Parc national des Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie". I have taken an afternoon cruise which was great, but according to the website, the 6:30 PM cruise is also good for spotting wildlife from the boat. Here is a link:

www.sepaq.com/pq/hgo/index.dot?language_id=1

NDG
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

My apologies, I just noticed the dusk cruise at 6:30 only starts July 4.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

As an aside about Parc National de la Mauricie let's just say that it was created under the tutelage of Jean Chrétien, our former prime minister and for many years before that an important minister. He hails from nearby Shawinigan, heck he even nicknamed himself "le p'tit gars de Shawinigan"!

So guess why we got a Canadian national park there? It is a really nice piece of natural wilderness but doesn't compare with the US or other Canadian national parks...

Quebec City
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

Definitely go for Tadoussac... for all the reasons named above.

You will most likely enjoy the drive towards Tadoussac which is very scenic in the summer. If you choose to go on the whale cruise, check if the Whales and Fjord option is available. It used to start in July, but maybe they'll decide to start it earlier this year. AML is a great tour company for whale watching in the Tadoussac area. www.croisieresaml.com/en/_croisiere.php…

BTW, Tadoussac, and Baie Sainte-Catherine are just across the fjord from each other. If you drive from Quebec City, it is easier to take the cruise from Baie Saint-Catherine (avoiding you to take the ferry to cross the fjord).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Happy planning :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

Some new ideas for me too! How does the dusk cruise in Parc national des Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Rivière-Malbaie compare with the fjord one (out of Riviere-Eternité etc, not the estuary)? Is it worth thinking of doing both? We would be doing a whalewatching one too, out of Tadoussac probably.

I have also read about Parc des Grands-Jardins with tundra and taiga so I think a rather different landscape? That sounded interesting as the other way we would get to see tundra is travelling to northern Scandinavia (or Russia). It's hard to make choices with limited time to see things! Can anyone suggest a route to fit all of these in?

Don't know the US national parks but we have been to Alberta (Prairies and Rockies around Banff and Lake Louise) and also travelled through southern BC and spent on a week touring on Vanvouver Island as far up as Port McNeill/Alert Bay. On this trip now (August) we hope to be reminded again of Canada's vastness.

Spiegs88 you can find out more about the national parks in Quebec from that llink JC-NDG gave you and also on the bonjourquebec site bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/….

Someone here on TA which had recommended it in the past and it's fantastic with lots of itineraries too.:

Edited: 22 January 2010, 09:06
9. Re: tadoussac or parc national la meuricie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 05:16