We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

Hello All:

We will be in QC for four nights at Christmas. We will have dinner on one night at the Frontenac and once at Le Continental.

We need to find two other places for dinners -- perhaps "less fancy" and perhaps different types of food?

We are also looking for lunches for those days.

We just need them all to be within reasonable walking distance (15 mins or less) from the Frontenac, as we will not have a car.

MERCI BEAUCOUP to all.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

So welcome to another part of Canada that might not be as majestic as the Rockies but certainly different with amazing sights too.

Ok I see that you have done your searches quite well and that this is like the final stage so I will just list briefly:

Lunch:

-Le Parlementaire in the National Assembly if open

-Restaurant of the Musée des Beaux Arts, it is more like 20/25 minutes to walk there but, oh surprise, you will be on flat terrain all the way from the Chateau (yes noboday says the Frontenac but always refer to The/ Le Chateau, try it with the locals)

-Buffet de l'Antiquaire in Lower Town, not a buffet but a French Canadian diner.

-Le Commensal on Saint-Jean st outside the walls. If I say vegetarian cafeteria it won't rate so much probably but if you go during lunchtime when everything is fresh and hot it's a place to try, careful they charge you per grams so if yo load your plate with heavy stuff it might cost more than you expected.

Dinner.

-Why not fondue one night and crepes the other? Le Pain Béni just across Place D'Armes has fondues beside their other more trendy offers. Crêpes even closer, next door to to the Château but it seems that it is a bit lackluster there. Another creperie on Saint-Jean intramuros that seems better but I cannot remember the name now.

Two other, out of the box suggestions, a steakhouse: Au Charbon inside the historical Gare Du Palais (train and bus station) may be 15 minutes going there downslope, may be better to take a cab for a short ride back instead of climbing the steep hill at night in sub zeros temperatures. Rotisserie chicken: Saint-Hubert a Québec classic chain since 1952, so far before the rotisserie craze in the US. On Grande-Allée so totally flat terrain again from the Château.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

Well I love your first 2 picks!!!!

In Lower town we like Le Lapin Saute, on Petit Champlain, open for lunch and dinner. Terrific duck and rabbit dishes

Sous Le Fort, just off the funicular, also in Lower town, is also very good for both lunch and dinner.

In Upper town, try Aux Anciens Canadians, close to Le Continental, at lunch, but make sure to order off the lunch menu as they do give you both. It is in one of the oldest buildings in the province, and is small so call first for reservations, but it offers traditional Quebecois fare which is very good.

Enjoy!!

JDP

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

Just to add to rickb's excellent suggestions there are a whole slew of restaurants if you keep walking past the Continental on Rue St.Louis,which later on becomes the Grand Alle just outside the St.Louis gate. First there is aux Anciens Canadiens which features traditional Quebec cuisine, Au Parmesan,we have eaten here many times. They make their own Proscuito (not sure of the spelling) and it is really great. There is a strolling accordian player and is nice to dine there on a cold winter evening. They do tend to rush you through your meal so just tell them you are not in a hurry. la Cremaillere is along here to. You will come to rue Saint Ursule and if you make a right turn you have the le Saint Amour a great restaurant. And when you get to the Grand Allee there is Louis Hebert and le Paris Brest both places are good for Sunday brunch (not a buffet). In Old Quebec you will never have to walk too far to have a good meal.

4. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 01:35
5. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

6. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

Sadly I checked for the Parlementaire and the restaurant at Musée des Beaux-Arts are closed at Christmas time. Paris Brest in Travelrrr post is now closed. The so helpful staff of Concierge at the Frontenac will help you out to find restaurants in walking distance of the hotel. As Rickb said near the Frontenac you will find the Pain Beni or maybe to Casse-Crêpe Breton who I think he is referring when he is writing about crepes. I would add another creperie Le Billig which is great also on St-John street.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

whitestoneny.Thanks for the update. It is hard to believe Paris Brest has closed its doors. It had been there so for so long. Perhaps they did not change with the times.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

Hi Travelrrr,

You are right, the didn't change there menu and where out of trend. A new restaurant is there but I had bad comment on it from my family in Quebec so cannot really comment.

Have a nice day Travelrrr thinking of our future trips.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants -- Two Down Two to Go

Thanks whitestoneny.. We are off Sat for a week at St .Pete's Beach. I just know we will not be eating in the style we are used to in Quebec City.