We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

We will probably be able to attend only one of these shows.

We would appreciate hearing which one you preferred - which one made you so glad that you went.

Also, which one is logistically easier to attend.

We will be in QC in mid-August, staying in the upper old city.

Thanks.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

Definetely Image Mill as per Cirque you can see touring shows all across the world and permanent ones on two continents. You can also rent DVDs of many of those shows. Of course it is free but it will be a logistical nightmare. If it is like last year; even people that bought tickets were standing room only, everybody standing in fact, so after the third row you lost some of the action. I know that except for the VIP section it is one of those very rare occasions when you can see a CduS show free but, of course it doesn't have all the production values that you will expect. This is outdoor , under an highway ramp. Another thing for me is the caliber of the artists performing. CduS can have the best performers in the world for both their touring shows and the permanent ones and they are signed for at least a year if not more. But this being a short term show I am sure that the artists/acrobats will be good but certainly one notch less than the $$$ shows.

Well that said Image Mill is something that you won't see anywhere else. It is a local company and director that made that projection almost as a birthday gift to their city and if Ex Machina and Robert Lepage are working mostly on the international level (RL doing Wagner's Tetralogy for the MET at the moment) and they got many offers to duplicate this system all over the world they decided that Qc would have the exclusive rights on that production. This year Ex Machina is working with 3D in many of their projects so Image Mill will be in 3D which will make it uneasiy to view from other viewing points than the official site as this is where they will provide the specific 3D glasses. Yes brand new technology so if you have some 3D glasses from a cinema they will not work. If you want an idea of what it's like go to the Ex Machina website and click other projects and you will find the Image Mill section. http://lacaserne.net

All that being said it all depands if you have kids. Usually CduS doesn't appeal so much to young kids, don't forget that there are no animals and a lot of theatrics that they might have problem to understand so let's say 9/10 y.o. and + would be ok but they might get very fidgety in the queues and then if not in the first rows they won't see so much. Image Mill is more adult oriented, it will completely go aver the head of the young ones while the older kids will be impressed first but then will find it too long.

Note that this from last years comment as it seems that none of the usual collaborators for Qc have seen the shows this year.

Edited: 05 July 2011, 00:41
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,739 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

Last summer I saw the Cirque du Soleil show then walk over to watch the Image Mill.

the Image Mill has a lot of reference to Canadian and Quebec history. As a non-resident, I am not sure you would "get" a lot of it expect the pretty pictures.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

I agree ... if you can only do one I would make it the Image Mill. You may be able to see a Cirque show somewhere else, but you won't see the Image MIll anywhere else. It is a spectacular event and very worth seeing.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

Thanks so much - Image Mills it is!

Any advice on how early to arrive prior to the show?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

The main viewing area is quite large and it is not big line ups like for CduS so I would say that if you want to be in the free standing section you should arrive around half an hour before showtime. And check the exact hour as it will vary during summer.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

And bring your camera ....you can get some great shots with the flash off.

If you get a chance it would be great to let us know how you liked it.

Best wishes.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

Yes I am curious about the new 3D thing. Hope that I will be able to go to Qc before the end of summer to catch it but it would definetely be interesting to get the opinion of people not familiar with the history of Québec City.

Toronto
Level Contributor
75 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

An alternate location to watch the Image Mills show would be up on rue des Remparts. We had an unobstructed view of the show and the audio was loud enough that it reached us up on Remparts.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

We just returned from Quebec City and saw both shows. I would recommend Cirque de Soleil. Yes, you can see them elsewhere, but for a family of five such as ourselves, that would amount to several hundred dollars. The show was an hour long, the acrobats were fantastic, and the production (for being under an overpass!) was tremendous.

Image Mills was also a very good multimedia presentation but it did not hold my family's attention like the Cirque show. I liked them both very much but my three sons preferred the Cirque show. Enjoy whichever you go do! You really can't go wrong on this!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cirque du Soleil or Image Mills?

You pose a rather Solomonish choice. My first instinct was to choose Cirque du Soleil as we have seen it twice and really enjoyed it. We have also seen Image Mill twice and raved about it. Do you really have to choose? Have you checked out the timing for both shows? If you can possibly make both shows, then do it.

Here's a clip of the Ex Machina - Image Mill. It's quite a site to behold:

lacaserne.net/index2.php/…0

Dates and times in 2011

Tuesday to Saturday, from June 28 to September 3

Starting at 10 pm in June and July

9:30 pm in August

9 pm in September

No performances on Sundays and Mondays

Except on July 24, 25, 31 and August 1

Extras on September 8 and 9

Stereoscopic glasses distribution

Glasses designed exclusively for The Image Mill 3D – 2011 Edition will be distributed inside the amplified area. Spectators should know that glasses designed for 3D or IMAX movies will not be compatible with the stereoscopic projection.

Where to see and listen to The Image Mill 3D – 2011 Edition

To experience and appreciate the work at its best and in all its dimensions, people are encouraged to position themselves on the docks, between the Old Port Market, Dalhousie Street, and Quay Saint-André Street.

As for CduS: There are no shows Sundays and Mondays. Tuesday to Saturday only and in August it starts at 9 p.m.

Here's a link to the site and a map:

cirquedusoleil.com/en/…maps-info.aspx

Both shows are incredibly different from each other. If you have a beautiful summer's eve, both are magical.

Hope this helps,

D in Muskoka.

If you have had a long day of shopping, exploring and walking (wear comfy shoes!) then I would opt for Image Mill as you can sit on the grass across the harbour and enjoy the show. CduS is extremely crowded and you stand for the entire show unless you can get yourself situated on the grassy hill.

Edited: 12 July 2011, 03:06