We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

cleveland,ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

How is the drive from Vermont to visit Montreal and Quebec City. Anything special happening during Christmas time in Quebec City. Are there reasonable priced places to Ski? Should we rather Ski in Vermont?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

Montreal is in the middle of the Plain of Saint-Lawrence which is just that: plain! So don't expect any ski around, the closest hills are about 45 minutes away.

Different option in Québec City as this town is at the end of said plain so there are mountains around, in fact 3 or 4 with ski slopes, some more family oriented like Stoneham and Lac Beauport and one that is superior, Mont-Sainte Anne which also offers other activities like sleighdogging and snowmobiles. Also a fun family activity would be the ice/snow slides at Village Vacances Val Cartier.

I could expand more but this will have to wait as I must go to bed! Hopefully others will fill the gaps and I could come back with finer details.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,697 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

If you main goal is to ski then you should wait when we are closer to the date to check the skiing conditions at that time. They will vary between the three places that you are looking at.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

Hi,

I actuallly making my plans, are very similar. We are going to Stowe Vermont for ski maybe 2 days, Stowe is very nice town and for ski is very good. for the last 2 years I went to Stowe for ski. Now I would like to drive from Vermont to Canada. I was thinking in niagara falls, quebec, but don't know a lot from Canada, We are a group of photographers, that is our hobbie, take beautiful pictures. I would like as well how far is from Vermont to Canada driving?

thanks,

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

TO LUZMIOSOTY,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM

And I see that you are Brand NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

For starters, I suggest that you begin with an On-Line Mapping Program (I like GOOGLE MAPS) to become more familiar with this part of North America.

Stowe is in Upstate Vermont and aprox 130 Miles (210 Kms) and about 2-1/2 Hours Driving Time* from Montreal = http://g.co/maps/8gkkm

*NOTE – Driving time is just that… time spent driving. It doesn’t account for Stops, Breaks or Sightseeing… nor for Delays that are caused by Border Crossing, Ferry Waits, Traffic Congestion, Road Construction or Weather Conditions. It is estimated using GOOGLE MAPS for the shortest most direct route (unless otherwise noted) and driving under “ideal” conditions at the posted speed limits.

Montreal is the closest city in the Province of Quebec (La-Belle-Province) to the United States… Quebec City (the Provincial Capital) is about 3 Hours to the northeast from Montreal farther downstream the St Lawrence River.

You have been to Stowe (which as a lifelong skier… I must agree is both a nice town and a great place to ski) in the Wintertime so I will assume that you have “some” winter driving experience… is it enough for a Canadian Winter is something you’ll have to decide. (As I am not sure where you have driven in the Northern USA in the past… or under what conditions). So I suggest that you read thru the CANADA – TRAVELLER ARTICLE on *Winter Driving* for more info = tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

Both Montreal and Quebec City lie in the St Lawrence Lowlands… a very flat plain… and a snowbelt. So winter weather and consequently driving here can be problematic if one doesn’t have SIGNIFICANT Winter Driving Experience… as the area can be prone to Snow Storms – Blizzards – Blowing Snow – Drifting Snow - Sleet – Freezing Rain – Freaky Fog – and Black Ice. These conditions can be intensified by the openness of the terrain.

IF you don’t have significant winter driving experience… there is public transit… you can get from Burlington Vermont to Montreal by Greyhound… and the cities of Montreal and Quebec City do offer up both great bus and train for inter-city transportation between them.

I hope this is helpful, in getting you started on your Quebec research.

For future reference…

There are TA TRAVEL PAGES and FORUMS for QUEBEC (the Province) – QUEBEC CITY – and MONTREAL and a great bunch of Local Advisors and Destination Experts in each one who can help you out with your Travel Plans

As well, it is always best to post NEW Topics for NEW Questions here on TA vs tagging onto another Traveller’s posting…

When you post a NEW Topic your needs become front and centre… and Local DEs will receive emails from TripAdvisor telling us that someone requires our expertise.

As well it means that you will also receive notifications from TA when people have posted replies to YOUR Topics… and you can also use the TRAVEL FILE Feature that is associated with your TA Account (linked thru to your TA PROFILE Page) to keep track of info for your Trip Planning needs.

And lastly, it truly is the polite and considerate thing to do, as it means the Original Poster (OP) won’t be receiving emails from TA telling them to check THEIR Topic as there has been replies.

If you wish to know more about the Province of Quebec (La-Belle-Province) I suggest that you post again in the QUEBEC FORUM found here = tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155025-i50-Quebec.…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

Well I would say that I adressed the Québec City side yesterday as this is the forum for that city and not the whole Province or Montréal. So I will expand my view a bit and comment for a whole Vermont/Québec winter trip for both Clevetravel and LuzMiosoty.

Ok so yes Stowe is a very good ski destination and often has more snow than the hills around Montreal (Laurentians and Eastern Townships) but Québec City and Mont-Sainte Anne are also almost sure bets for white Christmas and snow on the slopes.

As per traveling between Stowe and Montreal it is very easy in fair weather, mostly on I 89 and will take around 2 h 45. You will need to cross the border so proper papers will be required.

Montreal is a large metropolis but with some very obvious differences from other large North-American cities: French language (although most people speak commendable English) and signage; safety of the city, even with panhandlers and homeless there is much less agressive behavior than other cities; very lively downtown core, foodways, old historical part of the city; etc. There are also many family oriented activities and special ones for the Holidays. And there is a winter shopper dream: the Underground City that link malls, hotels, train and subway stations etc. all around the downtown core and near Old Montreal. So you can do all you want, shopping wise, etc one day without even setting a foot outside in the cold.

The trip between Montréal and Québec City is just boring and takes about 3 hours. Then you get one of the jewels of North America: a walled old city with old houses and monuments, in fact a bit like Old San Juan but in a totally different climate. It is really a winter paradise and is resplendent during the Holidays. The city is much smaller than Montreal and most of the area worth visiting is within walking distance even with the 200 feet cliff that separates Upper and Lower Towns. I have mentioned the surrounding ski resort and winter activities but there are other things to do in town proper, including great museums, outdoor activities like skating at Place d'Youville and the snow slide at the end of Terasse Dufferin. There are also many interesting buildings to gaze at in fair weather and tons of cafés and boutiques where you can enter when feeling too cold.

I invite both of you to consult the Things to Do section (upper left corner light green box) on both the Montreal and Québec City pages to get a bit more grasp on what awaits you.

As per return if you must return to the Stowe area or anywhere in Vermont you don't have to drive back all the way to Mtl first. You could drive part of the way in the Eastern Townships that offer much nicer countryside than Mtl to Qc. And this drive back will take you around 4h30 to Stowe or Burlington by partly different roads.

As per Niagara Falls it is located in the Province of Ontario at the other end of the Plain of Saint-Lawrence and the shortest route from Stowe (through Upper NYS) would be around 8 h 30 and 415 miles. So a totally different ballgame!

I did photograph Old San Juan a lot when I visited and I am sure that it will be the same not only for the San Juanite but for the Clevelander too!

6. Re: Christmas Vacation in Quebec city, Montreal and Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 06:16