We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

QC for Christmas 2012

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
744 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
QC for Christmas 2012

A couple of years ago, we started taking our kids on a Christmas trip rather than buying Christmas presents. The last two years have been Peru and Belize. This year they have asked for snow. We were thinking Europe, but a friend mentioned Quebec and it sounds like a great option!

So, I have done a search for Christmas based activities, but found none on this forum (at least none in the last 5 years). So, as I start planning this trip, I welcome any suggestions on where to stay, holiday-ish things to do (skating? horse drawn sleighs outside town? holiday events?), Are there any particular hotel that "do it up" for Christmas?

Anything that will point me in the right direction for further research would be appreciated. Our kids are 9,9 and 13 and great adventurous travelers. We all love discovering a city, eating local food, but hate group tours and crowds.

Thanks in advance!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: QC for Christmas 2012

You could search a little harder on this forum...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k2253…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k4968…

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: QC for Christmas 2012

Yes, may be there is nothing showing up in the Things to Do section but on this forum we have tons of requests. Just search for the last 3 months and you will get plenty as we had the annual stampede for infos about the Holidays in Qc since last October.

So for the moment I will just add a few remarks.

Will you be flying or driving?

What is the budget like?

Are you coming over the two holidays or only for one?

How many kids do you have?

So if you can answer those questions and tell us a bit more after doing some forum research and reading the links provided by my esteemed colleague Eirelover then we will gladly add some more or give you a bit more directions.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
744 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: QC for Christmas 2012

I apologize. I searched, but don't see how you search just for the last three months. When I searched the "relevant" ones came up all very old (I don't like to rely on post more than a couple years old...hotels, rests. and activities seem to change so fast.) When I clicked to "sort by date" it showed mostly post mentioning Christmas ("Merry Christmas!") and the dates on the side were all messed up, so I couldn't read the year....so I read down to the bottom of the page of irrelevant posts and gave up. One of my few frustrations with TripAdvisor is the search results are VERY hard to read, as they pull out sentence fragments and it is often hard to tell what the heck they are about.

That 2011 post is very helpful and a good start for me in looking at winter activites (dogsledding, slides, snowshowing, skating, skiing...yippee!). So I am off to search on that. It also looks like Quebec is just what we are looking for in beautifully decorated parts of town, old hotels, lovely restaurants....and local treats (taffy?!)

To answer the questions, as I mentioned we have three kids (9, 9, and 13) who will be a year older in Dec. 2012. We are coming from NC, so will be driving. Not sure how long we will stay or whether we will combine it with somewhere else...need to decide how much there is to do, etc. We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Peru (xmas and NY) but only one week in Belize, as Raleigh had its only white Christmas in memorable history while we were in Peru and our kids were convinced it would happen again this year if we were gone. Ergo...the demand for snow if we are not in NC for Xmas next year.

Definately flying (we have tons of FF)

Price? Well, it depends. We would like to have a lovely convenient place. We don't need fancy fancy, prefer comfortable and personal. We prefer smallish over huge, but, I guess, if we want a place that will do something special for dinner we may end up in a bigger place(whatever that is...not necessarily looking for the huge buffet type thing, just something......oh, this is hard to describe) ???. For instance, we just spent NYE in a small jungle lodge in Belize where only 4 of 8 cabins were full, and we ate outside and the whole crowd, including kids, ate, talked and danced til 11 (we cheated) and we felt like we had known everyone forever. Arguably, we could afford either (well, within reason) but, again, are rarely excited about over the top places.

Now, I am rambling, so I will quit.

Any thoughts on how early hotels book up for Christmas?

Thanks.

4. Re: QC for Christmas 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2013, 10:29