We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this a good location

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
is this a good location

thinking of renting a condo at 165 Rue du Marche Finlay this summer,and before I commit; I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a good location to downtown/old Quebec? Is this a safe area to walk at night? Is it close to restaurants, etc,? Is a car something to consider; or is there a better area to consider? advice would be appreciated. tnx

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is this a good location

THe location is great, right by the Chateau Frontenac. BUt you do need to check that the rental is legal and inspected as a tourist residence. It would have a star rated and be insured for the purpose. IF it is not you run the risk of ticking off you new neighbours who do not want tourists tramping up and down their hallways.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is this a good location

I agree with you bogwoppit unless it is simply somebody renting their condo for the summer. Many people in that area of the city do that and as long as their building has an agreement that allows you to own a condo for rental purposes then they are okay. In that part of the city it is pretty standard. I know this has been a popular discussion on this board.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is this a good location

But you have to check if the condo is on the CITQ listing which will give you the assurance that it is legal to rent the condo.

http://www.citq.qc.ca/en/index.php

Go to publications and choose accomodation in Quebec.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is this a good location

Okay, I am just wondering....are you saying that you believe that I am not allowed to rent out my condominium to somebody for the month of July when I go away...and my condominium is fully covered by insurance and the agreement in my building (co-propriété...not sure what is said in English) agrees to rentals?

Just wondering.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is this a good location

I am not just believing it is right, check with the city. Renting for MORE than a month would be ok with a lease and notifying your insurance company but below a month it is a Residence de Tourisme and for that especially in Old Quebec you will need a permit of the city and the inspection of the CITQ. If you do that once a year I don't think it is a big deal but just in case I would check.

California
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is this a good location

thanks for the input. I feel better about my decision. Should I rent a car while I'm there for 9 days, or is the train/bus system the way to go Is there a card that allows unlimited transportation for the whole time we're there?Also, any suggestions on how I buy tickets for the Summer Festival? Thanks and I'm looking forward to visiting Quebec. Is it true that in Quebec the don't like to speak English? Just need to know what to expect and I'll be great. Thanks again/ merci

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is this a good location

What a bizarre statement : Is it true that in Quebec the don't like to speak English? The majority of Quebecer's on the street if the see you at the corner of a street looking at a map will stop and ask you in Englis(yes in English) can I yelp you. In hotels and restaurants everybody speak english (front desk, waiters etc) . Only once and twice on this board you will read a comment about unpleasant waiter toward english speaking person but that's all. They are friendly people and love their city and will welcome newyorkers and californians as you and me.

Enjoy your trip in Quebec

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is this a good location

especially if you make an effort to speak in French. Outside of the tourist zone you will meet many people that do not speak in English and it is not because they don't want to .... it just is the only language they know.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is this a good location

Correct donnasinc91 and thank you I forgot to mention it.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is this a good location

Also, Eleo, I suggest that you read the 2nd Top Question, to tje top right of the present page, to enlighten you. Your query is déjà-vu on this forum :)

Re: Summer Festival: the passes for the duration of the Festival are pre-sold in May normally (at a slightly reduced price), and they sell out within 1 or 1,5 day. Then a limited number of passes (full price) are sold later on, but these also sell out rapidly. If you can't get a hold on one online then, it's possible to buy day passes once you are here if you are mostly interested by a single show, or a single day's activities. Bookmark the Festival's website, and check it out regularily from the end of April and onwards. This year, the program is supposed to be published BEFORE the pre-sell period.

http://www.infofestival.com