We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

ny
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

Hi, I want an interesting area, history and culture wise, but not too touristy. Can climb stairs, but want comfort and style; comfy beds and linens, brick walls, possibly, decor that I will stay in my mind.

It doesn't have to be right in the center of things; can be close to things but in more of an actual neighborhood w real people.

thanks!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

Both hotels you name are in a very touristy and busy area, they are literally around the corner from each other on a very busy shopping street.

You might find the Hotel Germaine Dominion more your style if you do not want to be in the busiest part of the old city. It is in the lower town and has ll the elements you state. BUt the area is less busy. BUt of course that means you will walk further.

The Auberge St Antoine is also in the lower town and in a less busy spot.

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
594 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

Hotel le priori would be a good choice too.

http://www.hotellepriori.com/fr/

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

Can climb stairs, but want comfort and style; comfy beds and linens, brick walls, possibly, decor that I will stay in my mind = Auberge Place d'Armes

Read on their website the history of that little hotel, recommended by National Geographic Traveler, it was a wax museum and have a room decorated with panels from the palace of Versailles. The stone walls of the museum wing where built in 1730 and the bricks of the second building came as ballast in the ships from Scotland very interesting story and beautiful renovations. I love it

http://www.aubergeplacedarmes.com

and read the comments here on TA

Auberge St-Antoine have also such an interesting story!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

The only drawback with Auberge Place d'Armes, located at a stone's throw from Château Frontenac, is the gazillion tourists passing by it .....

I second the suggestions of Dominion 1912 and Auberge St-Antoine. Auberge St-Pierre would also fit the bill, I think http://www.auberge.qc.ca/en/index.aspx . These 3 are in Lower Town, near the antiquaries neighbourhood and within walking distance of the Farmer Market. Short walk to the funiculaire (cable car) leading to Upper Town.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,779 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

I have stayed at Hôtel Manoir Victoria and would not do so again. It was very conveniently located, beds very comfortable, was not noisy at all, but so are many other places. It reminded me too much of Queen Victoria and I kept expecting to see an aspidistra growing in a pot in the corners.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

Yeah the business of the Place D'armes are is what put me off recommending it. I love the location, but at times it is very busy.

Mufti that aspidistra comment made me laugh.Does show a certain ere doesn't it.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

I love it because in the morning it is so calm and even no tourists until 10 to 11am. After that yes a lot of people but you are in the middle of it all and inside so calm and relaxing really a contrasting experience! A matter of taste.

In autumn while the cruise ships are in town, lower town (Auberge St-Antoine, Dominion and Hotel 71) is more crowded than upper town also even residents don't go to Vieux Port at that time.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,922 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

I'm with you Whitestoney, it is so lovely. The dates are very significant as you say, pedestrian traffic changes immensley through the year.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

whitestoneny has finally convinced me to stay at the Place d'Armes in May. Yes, I know the area well, but it is the experience of staying and eatting there that I'm looking forward to. And yes, first thing in the morning it is not all that busy outside as well.

JDP

ny
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: L'Hotel du Vieux or Hotel Manoir Victoria? or other.

Thank you for all the suggestions.