We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to quebec from montreal

Margao, India
10 posts
Save Topic
day trip to quebec from montreal

Hi... want to know if a day trip driving down (hiring a car )to Quebec from montreal is a good option or taking a guided bus tour is good considering we have two kids aged 7 and 13 ,please help ...thanx !!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to quebec from montreal

It is a lot of driving for a one day visit. A good three hours each way on a good day. I think an overnight would make it way more fun. The museum of civilisation alone can take three hours with curious children.

If you will consider an overnight, then a car rental is a good choice. Otherwise I would look at the train journey, Via Rail. The bus is also very highly recommended. Quebec City is so small and easy to walk around that I am not sure a tour is necessary.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to quebec from montreal

There is a bus tour but it is an all day event and your kids might get restless.

I would certainly stay at least one night if you could, and I agree with taking the bus or train. The bus has more departures, while the train is a little more fun. Both are very convenient.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to quebec from montreal

Just to let you know that I have been to Québec City many times on a day tour but, of course, I know the city and what I want to see.

That being said it must be taken into account that it is a 3 hours drive (including a short break midway) or by bus or train it will take 3h20. Tour buses will do it in a bit less than 3 hours but might not be advisable with kids + they will add Montmorency Falls and Sainte-anne de Beaupré Basilica which are not must sees on a first visit.

The train will be a nice experience as the kids will have a lot of room to roam around but, unless you decide on an overnight it could be a good solution both ways. But the last return is too early to consder an all train tour in one day. Bus is more problematic with kids but if they sleep easily at night it could be a solution for return as the last one leaves Québec City at 10h30 pm.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to quebec from montreal

Hi Syn-75,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM

Agree with the others... as the "birthplace" of North America (first settled city) and the ongoing cradle of French Culture... Quebec City is a must see that is truly fascinating when compared to the rest of North America. Typically we advise Travellers to plan 2 or 3 Days there (longer if they want to see some of the Lower St Lawerence River area and it's scenery and significant cultural influences)...

As a BARE MINIMUM coming out of Montreal, I'd say with children in tow, you'll want to do an overnight... as mentioned 3+ Hours by car, bus or train EACH way can make for a long long day.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... I know that you are NEW to TripAdvisor... so maybe this TA TIP will help as well.

I notice that you are posting in all the various DESTINATION FORUMS your "specific Questions" for each City / Region (which is good)... BUT at this point in time if you haven't already, you might want to also post a very general Question about your overall Itinerary for your visit to Canada (maybe in the CANADA FORUM = tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g153339-i49-Canada.… )... with notes on how you plan to travel from place to place... so we can see your Full Itinerary... and perhaps help you tweek / perfect that.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 20:29
Margao, India
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to quebec from montreal

Thanx guys !!

6. Re: day trip to quebec from montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2013, 10:28