We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor to Quebec

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Harbor to Quebec

we are planning a trip from mid October 2012, flying into Boston from Australia, we will pick up a car and head north staying in Freeport overnight then Bar Harbor for 2 or 3 nights taking in Acadia National Park, we are then planning on driving to Quebec city, Montreal, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Lancaster, Washington DC finishing in New York.... now this is a 1st for us to Nth Eastern US.... fall foliage sounds amazing... as well as the possibility for seeing wild life e.g. Moose & bears etc.... can someone please help me with a route that may take in Moosehead lakes & Stowe, without missing the other places I've mentioned.... or am I just trying to bite of more than I can chew! we have approx 3 weeks starting in Boston (3 nights) and ending in New York (4 days...hopefully) any suggestions would be appreciated.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

Hi Meg S and welcome to the forum!!

The most direct route is 201 which becomes highway 73 once you cross into Canada. It also goes by Moosehead Lake though not directly.

The problem with 201 is that it is slow, predominately 2 lane road, with logging trucks often slowing things down further. There are, however, some pretty vistas, areas along the route.

But another problem, including what you would like to see, is moose. Seeing one from a distance is fine. Seeing one on the side of the road isn't. There have been a number of serious accidents, even fatalities, due to moose collisions along this route. They are also not friendly creatures up close. They come out predominately at dawn at and dusk, though a night collision is possible too. You truly have to stay alert while driving this road at any time.

If you decide to do it, take your time and drive safe.

JDP

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

If your total trip is 3 weeks and 7 days are already allocated to Boston and NYC, I'm not sure you will have enough time for everything considering the distances and travel times. If you can drop off you rental car in Buffalo NY and fly to Washington and then take the train back to NYC it might be possible but I think you will end up using about 10-14 days by the time you get to Niagara Falls.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

I agree with traveller_yyz. I might stop at Montreal and then head south from there. There is plenty to do once you hit Quebec, such as head to Charlevoix country after Quebec City, and maybe the Eastern Townships before hitting Montreal, You could even stop in Ottawa, but after that Toronto might be too much.

JDP

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

thanks for the post, I've checked google maps and 201 appears as the main route as you say. The thought of collisions with Moose doesn't sound too great, however we can experience the same thing here with Kangaroos although they are much smaller than Moose.... we would take our time.

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

thanks for the tips, again I checked where Buffalo is and that appears to make a lot of sense, we were interested in passing through Lancaster and Amish country.... if we have to make a sacrifice this would need to be it.

Wamberal, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

yes I agree with you comment here as well, we've just dropped Toronto off the itinerary.... we really don't want to cram too many places into this road trip.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

Glad to hear it. Acadia, which is beautiful by the way, Quebec City, a personal favorite, Montreal, a gem, and anything else you fit in you should do quite well!!

Enjoy!!

JDP

8. Re: Bar Harbor to Quebec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:18