We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having a car in Quebec City

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Having a car in Quebec City

We have a deal on a very nice resort 1/2 hour away from Quebec City. We are only there for 4-5 days in August. Is it going to be a hassle though to have a car when we go into Quebec City?

I am thinking that we should skip the fancy resort and stay in QC and use public transportation.

Thank you,

Pamela

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having a car in Quebec City

Well, you certainly don't need a car in QC. It is an easily walkabout city. If you decide to keep the car the most convenient place to park is Upper town in the lot below city hall.

As for your resort, where is it? There might be public transportation into the city from there?

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having a car in Quebec City

Wel if you are renting a car and figure that you will have to pay parking every time that you come into town then yes you might be better finding something in the Vieux-Québec since it is walkable to almost all of the attractions.

On the other hand if it is your own car then you could consider going to the resort if you want to relax and unwind and not only visit. Also it depends on where your resort is located. Mont-Sainte-Anne, it could be nice to have a car and one day don't go to the city per se but to Montmorency Fall and Orléans island that will be just a quick drive away.

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having a car in Quebec City

Thank you! We have since decided to forgo the car and just spend the time in and stay in QC proper. Thanks again,

Pamela

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having a car in Quebec City

Hello prtatum.

As far as the car goes I agree you don't really need a car in Quebec City as Rick and JDP mentioned.. And many people do find it a hassle to park their car in Quebec City ...and it can be, but it is definitely do-able especially if you arrive early enough to secure a good parking spot. There is a big parking lot near the Rue de Petit Champlain ...it's where we usually park and it is a great location to leave your car, you are close to museums, restaurants, the river and boutiques etc.

If you are looking for a few days to relax you might want to consider keeping the accommodations you have, that way you could have the best of both worlds by enjoying being at the resort and also spending time in Quebec City. The reason I mention that is It can be quite busy in Quebec City in August and although there are always different areas you can visit where it is not as hectic nonetheless it is a busy time of year for tourists and so forth. So it depends what type of vacation you are after...you could consider that to help you decide what to do.

Good luck with your plans.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having a car in Quebec City

Hello again Pamela..

I was writing the above post to you and then was interrupted by a phone call...in the mean time your post came in and I didn't see it..so that is why you might wonder why I posted all the above.

Best wishes.

6. Re: Having a car in Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:16