We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

We are a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 8 & 4 from Miami and would like to visit either Montreal or Quebec for 4-5 days next March 2013. We have never been to either. What would you suggest? Thanks so much!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

I would suggest both. if you have 5 days. 6 or 7 days would be even better.

I suppose that you will be flying so you can certainly look at arrival in Mtl and departure from Québec City. If this is not possible then you could take one of the buses from Qc that goes to the airport in Mtl. I can assure you by some of my previous experiences that bus service is way better here than in Fla.

No need to rent a car, in fact it is not advisable if you have no serious winter driving experience.. Both cities are also walkable and in Mtl the métro (subway) can be a great help sometimes.

So let assume that you fiy in Mtl and out Qc. Here's what I would do: first 2 nights in Mtl then train or bus to Qc and last two nights there. If 5 nights all in all I would probably do one more day in Qc but that depends on what time in the month you are coming. Early March you will have many special winter activities offerend, like the Ice Hotel in Qc. But by the end of the month all of this will be gone.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

I'd spend extra time in Montreal, there's a lot more to do, though Quebec City has a lot of history, unless you have a vested interest in Canadian history, there's simply not as much to do for families.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

I would go to Quebec..its prettier..I found montreal more stressful and age to navigate. Plus people were nicer in Quebec..I thought..

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

For a family with kids that age, not looking for nightlife (I would think), Quebec City will be easier to navigate and more picturesque. But what type of activities are you interested in?

Just noticed you want to visit in March ..not the best time unless you don't mind the cold.

Edited: 04 June 2012, 01:13
northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

Hello Macasal,

Although I do enjoy Montreal I think for the ages of your children Quebec City would probably make for a more pleasant holiday. Things are closer together so it will be easier to get around and it won't be as overwhelming as Montreal.

March in Quebec City is something I have experienced several times and I enjoyed it very much. If you're lucky you will get the best of both world's ....meaning your family can experience being out and about on both mild days and snowy days. On the other hand if you are trying to avoid snow then you probably shouldn't go in March.

If you are up for it there are a few winter activities you can take advantage of... you can take the kids skating and maybe sledding. There is also a nice interactive museum - the Museum of Civilization that your 8 year old might enjoy.

I found the below list and maybe there are a few activities from it that may be of interest to your family.

Good luck and by the way love your city, I have been there many times.

lifeinquebec.com/featured-1/…

Edited: 07 June 2012, 17:37
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
690 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

Have your kids experience show fun yet?

If you are early March (or better in February) you should go snow slidding. Lot of fun. Mid-march snow conditions might well not be good enough.

Around Québec it could be at Valcartier Village www.valcartier.com/glissades-d-hiver/en/

Near Montreal it could be GLISSADES DES PAYS D'EN HAUT

bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/attractions-director…

Note that if you have never skated, it is not that easy to learn.

In Montreal the Biodome and Science Center are winners with kids

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

I'm looking for places to visit and it looks like both Quebec City and Montreal have fun stuff to do. For Quebec: Chute Montmorency, Bee Museum, Aquarium, Museum, Old Quebec, Cafes (yummy crepes!). For Montreal: The Biodome, Botanical Gardens and Insectarium. It might be too early to visit the Botanical Gardens but I'm sure there's something there in March, the planetarium and old port, the science centre. Will you be going around the INternational Children's Film Festival? There may be something there for your young family. Enjoy, let me know what ended up doing as I will be there in July!

8. Re: Montreal or Quebec in March 2013 with 2 young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 07:18