We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

I've been trying to follow these protests in the news, since I plan on traveling with my kids to Quebec City and Montreal this summer. Does anyone know if the students are protesting near the tourist areas or somewhere else like Government or University buildings?

My family and I are not afraid of a peaceful protest, and live near a city where they happen all the time. I just don't want to put us in harm's way if these turned into riots. I know that's unpredictable, but does anyone have a read on the mood of the movement currently?

Thanks, Susan

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

You will have no issues at all. Recent visitors, and all the locals, have said it is fine and they are correct. The news agencies have overblown the protests and that is a real shame.

Chances are you will see absolutely nothing, even tourists who have gone looking for th eprotests have had difficulty finsing them!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

I follow Quebec events pretty closely, and while we go north often, even I was a little concerned about Visting Quebec City over Memorial Day weekend, and QC isn't even the center of all the activity. My concerns were over blown. We did stay in the Old City, at the wonderful Place D'Armes a block from the Frontenac. One evening, at about 9:30 pm we started hearing some noise and looked out our window. The protests, as you may know, have resorted to the peaceful banging of pots and pans and that it what we heard and saw. Maybe 1000 people went by, young and older, families with strollers. It was very peaceful and festive even. It was over in about 10 minutes. We stayed 4 days and it was the only sign of any protest. You won't see anything during the day. Things are much much calmer in QC so I would not worry at all. Go about your vacation as though nothing was going on except for enjoying yourselves.

JDP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

You might have to put up with banging of pots and pans....not so bad!

Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

Thanks so much for your responses! I've been really looking forward to introducing my kids Quebec and didn't want to cancel it. A pots and pans banging protest would happen in my kitchen if we couldn't go on vacation this summer!

Appreciatively, Susan

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

I have been in Montreal for three nights now, staying on rue Guy, and have not heard/seen a thing.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,766 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

I think that the press has actually given an accurate account of events but understand that it does not happen all over town. Usually a peaceful protest will degenerate when the students are infiltrated by extremists groups. When the police declares the protest illegal then all hell breaks loose.

As a tourist, you are very unlikely to come across it. And if you do, just change your route. Don't hang around. I had to deal with the same thing in Greece last fall. don't get too close and don't film the events with your camera as this may attract some unwanted attention.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

I assume that you are talking of Montreal... Quebec city is so much quiet and as that post is for Quebec city there is really no problem in Quebec city.

8. Re: Student Protests - should I still come to Quebec?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:41