We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

Hello,

I'm planning a romantic trip to Quebec City for my girlfriend and I this coming New Years. We'll be spending 3 nights, including New Years Eve and I'd love some advice on romantic restaurants, day activities and of course New Years Eve festivities.

Budget is not too much of an issue, as I plan on proposing to my girlfriend on this trip and want to make it as memorable as possible (not meaning money buys memories, but if there's something incredible that will make this trip that much more special I'm happy to spend money on it)

Restaurant-wise, I eat just about anything while she is more picky: a pseudo-vegetarian who will eat chicken which makes restaurant choices much narrower.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I apologize if some of these questions have been answered elsewhere on the forum, I will certainly continues to browse the existing posts for ideas.

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,811 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

You should try to book a room at the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac, a New Year package for example with ball in the beautiful ballroom or dance at other spots. I am sure that with advance notification a vegetarian or flexi dinner could be planned for your GF..

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

I totally agree with rickb's suggestion.

Also, just up the street, on Grand Allee, just outside the St. Louis gate, there are usually outdoor New Years celebrations, including bands and fireworks. It is also in an area where there are a few clubs as well.

JDP

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

Hello.

There are a few restaurants that come to mind. One of my favourites in Quebec City for a special occasion is Panache, It is a romantic restaurant, service is impeccable and the food is top notch. It is pricey, but well worth it for a special occasion. If it is something you might be interested in I would suggest you mention when you book your reservation that it is a special occasion as there are a few tables that are a little more special than others.

http://www.saint-antoine.com/en/dining

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d70…

Also Le Patriarche is a lovely place and they have a different vegetarian option every evening. They are very good to work with if you tell them your girlfriend is a vegetarian.

http://www.lepatriarche.com/

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d12…

ALso Toast has a vegetarian option. ANd it is another lovely, romantic restaurant.

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d11…

http://www.restauranttoast.com/

Hope this helps a little. I hope you have a fabulous weekend. One thing I can guarantee is you will love Quebec City, it is a perfect location for what you have planned.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

Panache has no vegetarian option and they will not work with you, I know I tried. Best avoid.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

Some vegetarians eat fish and they do have a few fish choices at Panache and Lions_Smile mentioned his girlfriend eats chicken. I am not sure if they have chicken, but they do have hen on their menu.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

Best to call ahead in that case, that way they may decide to do something special for her. I wouldn't leave it to chance as their menu is quite small due to the market fresh nature of their food.

But vegetarians eat no meat or fish. There are other labels for them pescetarians etc. I eat chicken and fish and no other meat, but I do not call myself a vegetarian, just a non red meat eater.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 16:29
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,811 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

All of these variations are nowadays called flexitarians. In my first post I used flexi to make it simpler but I realise that some people might have scratched their head.

By the way Lions_Smile there is a chain of vegetarians restaurants in the Province called Le Commensal. It is a bit cafeteria / buffet style but it could be a good place to bring your GF at some other times than NYE during your stay. There is one close to the Old City, about 5 minutes outside the walls on Saint-Jean Street. Oh and nowadays they have switched to flexitarian by offering a few seafood and chicken dishes.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

I suppose it would be easier to refer to people like us as selective eaters.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

I will certainly look at the menus of these restaurants!

I've booked a hotel room already but I also like the suggestion of the ball at the Chateau Frontenac. Can you buy tickets for the ball even if you're not a guest staying there?

I forgot to mention that we'll start our week in Quebec with a couple days of skiing at Stoneham. Does anyone have any experience with a car service that would take us (and our skis) to and from? I'd just like something more special than a shuttle bus! Would it just be a good idea to rent a car? Also any restaurant suggestions for up there would be helpful!

Finally we love to get out and do stuff when we're away. If there are any ideas on things to do in and around the city I'd love to hear them! What are the best attractions in QC? Years ago I went to a snow tubing place outside the city but I can't remember what it was called... not the most romantic I know, but really fun!

Thanks again!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,960 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic Winter New Years in Quebec City

I wouldn't rent a car unless you like winter driving. Ask the concierge at the hotel to organise a car for you. You can email ahead with your details and they will be very helpful.

You can go to the ball without staying in house at the Frontenac, just call ahead to book.

The tubing place will be Village Val Cartier and they usually run a shuttle to the city during the winter. There is the ice slide in front of the Frontenac, very romantic skating at night in Place Youville, lit up with music playing. I like the market, marche du vieux port for some good food and local treats. Also on the left of the page you will see a link called Things to do, full of rated and reviewed ideas.