We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec and Montreal

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mokena, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec and Montreal

My husband and I are planning to fly to Quebec and take a scenic train to Montreal, returning by air to Chicago from Montreal.. We would appreciate any help, comments, recommendations in planning this trip. i.e. should reservations be made prior to vacation for train reservations or should we book it upon our arrival in Quebec What recommendations do you experienced travelers have for us active retirees. thanks Joyce

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec and Montreal

When....????

Mokena, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec and Montreal

We plan on going to Quebec City from Chicago and want to take a scenic train to Montreal returning to Chgo from Montreal. We plan on going in June for 11 days. My question is do we book train reservations prior to going or do we book them upon our arrival in Quebec? Any information, comments or observations would be truly appreciated by us. We;re active retirees.

thanks

joyce

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec and Montreal

Just like air travel, the earlier you book, the less expensive the fares will be. VIA offers supersaver fares on most of its routes - in both economy and business class (VIA 1). Depending on your age you may also be eligible for seniors fare. Have a look at their website:

www.viarail.ca

That said, it is not the most scenic route. Howver VIA is the only rail service that runs between the two cities.

Edited: 22 December 2012, 14:56
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec and Montreal

We always book in advance with Via Rail and it is so much easier. You will have no problems.

I agree though, it is not scenic. Flat farm land predominately, though the ride itself is very comfortable.

JDP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec and Montreal

Bus services will be available, you don't really have to book on advance for those....will give you more freedom just to come and go as you please...

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec and Montreal

And for your information, the intercity bus service between the 2 cities is nothing like Greyhound. Reliable, clean, comfy. Departures every hour, which is way more convenient than the train

www.orleansexpress.com

7. Re: Quebec and Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 02:38