We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's recommended days to visit Quebec City 1st time

california
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what's recommended days to visit Quebec City 1st time

I'm planning my itinerary and can visit 3-6 days? Wondering if 5 days is too long? I love history, good food, people watching, and quaint small towns..even a side trip, cirque du soleil,maybe a museum. Can someone help recommend an itinerary? And super delicious restaurants? I will be staying in old part of city and will be visiting Sept 14, 2013. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what's recommended days to visit Quebec City 1st time

Quebec City will satisfy all your requirements as to history, good food, people watching etc.

There are plenty of cafes and restaurants. On one occasion we ate at the Relais restaurant and the food was very good (pasta with shrimp, mussels, clams and scallops). There was a guitarist and singer who created the perfect atmosphere.

For history: In The Musee du Fort you can watch a miniature model re-enactment of the battle for Quebec between Generals Montcalm and Wolfe.

We visited The Citadel (on the cliff top above the St. Lawrence River) and found it very interesting (22nd Canadian Regiment + their goat mascot).

The nearby Plains of Abraham are also worth visiting. There is a park trail along the cliff top that takes you there from the Citadel. The area is known as Battlefields Park and although there is nothing to see other than a commemorative stone marking the spot where the battle occurred, you can imagine the struggle General Wolfe's men had in assailing the cliffs. The National Battlefields Commission sometimes organise events there. If you return to Quebec City via the lower port road, it is worth stopping to look inside the little naval church, dedicated to seafarers.

I can't remember exactly where it was but we came across a small cinema in the town (above another building) where we watched a 3D film about the Quebecois history. The lower town of Quebec City consists of very pretty stone houses and shops and you can travel between the lower and upper part of the town either by steps or a funicular.

Chateau Frontenac is the imposing hotel that resembles a castle and we took a guided tour which was both interesting and amusing.

There is a boardwalk that runs adjacent to the river and if the weather is nice, it is very pleasant to walk along here or sit on one of the benches.

It is also very pleasant to walk around the port area which is situated away from the Old Town. We came across a troupe of French actors who were performing on the quayside. Although we couldn't understand every word, we thoroughly enjoyed the play (a comedy) which we could follow by the actions.

Montmorency Falls (about 10-15 mins. from the old town) are among the highest waterfalls in Canada and higher than Niagara Falls. You can take a boat trip from the old city.

Getting back to your original question "....5 days is too long" - not in my opinion!

Edited: 13 January 2013, 01:45
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what's recommended days to visit Quebec City 1st time

A very good previous post.

I always think no time is long enough in Quebec, but that's just me. 3 days gives you all the basics plus a little time to relax, 4 I think is ideal. But for starters, I would not plan an itinerary. Quebec City is small enough that it is very easy to cover walking. The spots mentioned above are well worth it, as is the Mussee de Civilisation in Lower Town. Also, take a ferry ride over to Levis and back for some of the best views of the city as well as some terrific pictures.

For eating what are your tastes? For traditional Quebecois dishes try Aux Anciens Canadiens in Upper town, for rabbit and duck Le Lapin Saute in Lower town. For wine and cheese, Le Pape Georges, also in Lower town. Or simply walk around and find a cafe and spot all your own. That is the real beauty of this place, taking the time to enjoy what strikes you, including just sitting at a cafe and watching the world go by.

JDP

Quebec City
Level Contributor
612 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's recommended days to visit Quebec City 1st time

Just thought I'd mention, the 3D movie mentioned in post #1 is Quebec Experience: www.quebecexperience.com/introanglais.html Never been myself, but I used to work in a shop below, and it did attract a lot of people.

Quebec City is great for everything you've mentioned you like. Take the time to "lose" yourself in the little side streets, I always find it interesting to step away from the big crowds on St-Jean and St-Louis.

The city is FILLED with delicious restaurants. It depends what you like to eat. Among my favorites (and often recommended here) are Lapin Sauté in Petit Champlain, Le Cochon Dingue on boulevard Champlain, Entrecôte St-Jean on St-Jean street, Portofino also on St-Jean. Also for drinks and good food, Pub St-Alexandre and Pub St-Patrick, on St-Jean. I especially like sitting in the cellar-like rooms of St-Patrick. And Casse-Crêpe Breton, on St-Jean is very quaint. A tiny restaurant, there are often long queues waiting to be seated, I recommend going there at "odd" hours to avoid the crowds. You'll notice that St-Jean is filled with restaurants! There are also tons of good restaurants on Grande-Allée, outside the walls. Savini is "the" place to be these days, very popular and "in". But mostly, just walk around and see what inspires you.

If you have a car, drive to Ile d'Orleans, and stop at the Montmorency Falls on the way. If you don't have a car, you might want to look into joining a bus tour to these places. I think Tours du Vieux-Québec offer day trips there. You could also go on a whale watching tour, which can be fun, and on a fine day, the views would be lovely, even if you don't see any whales!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what's recommended days to visit Quebec City 1st time

Hello runutsbc.

I agree with JDP that there is never enough time to enjoy this amazing city. And from reading your post and what you are looking for I don't think you would be bored in your time frame.

I would suggest you have a look at the Trip Reports section (to the right under top questions) and you will get a good overview of what other visitors have experienced.

5. Re: what's recommended days to visit Quebec City 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 05:16