We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip with toddler

Cambridge,MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip with toddler

I'm planning a trip to Quebec city with husband and toddler and I would like some tips from the experts here. I'm thinking of an extended long weekend.

- Which time frame would be better in terms of crowds and prices- memorial day weekend (end may) or the july 4th weekend ?

- Is it possible to rent a condo or have access with a small kitchen? What are my options as I would like to stay near one of touristy locations?

- Planning to drive up to Quebec. What is parking like in the city?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip with toddler

So

-Memorial Day wil be much better, significantly less crowded than early July.

-There are many condos and appartment to rent around both the Lower and Upper parts o thef historical Town.

-Street parking is hard to come by and cars are not very useful as almost everything interesting is within close walks. City owned parkings are the less expensive places to use and you can park your car in one for almost all of your stay. without reall need to take it out. For Upper Town the most useful parking is the one under City Hall while in Lower Town it is the Old Port parking.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip with toddler

Underground parking is $14 a day and easy to find.

Look at http://www.royaldalhousie.com/ for a vacation rental. The owner/manager has more condos than listed on the site and at different price points. I have rented from them many times and have been very happy with the service. Most rentals have a 3 night minimum.

I agree that memorial day is a way better choice, after June 22nd things get very hectic in QC.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip with toddler

Great ideas so far.

I agree with Memorial Day. Been up there at that time before and the weather can also be very nice.

If you want a place with a kitchenette look at Chateau de la Terressa Dufferin, located a block from the iconic Chateau Frontenac and next to the US consolate. It is an old victorian converted into rooms. Some are one bedrooms with kitchettes. The only thing that won't work is the oven. Near everything with great views also. They also have limited parking.

JDP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip with toddler

Memorial Day weekend here is Victoria Day....FYI...

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip with toddler

Actually - Victoria Day weekend is the weekend before Memorial Day weekend.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip with toddler

My bad....saw it on the way home...

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip with toddler

Yup Memorial Day is one week after our Victoria Day. Most of "fair weather" things to do and activities are opening on Victoria Day week-end so coming a week later you are almost certain that everything will be open.

8. Re: Family trip with toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 05:16