We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between cities without car

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Travel between cities without car

My wife and I plan to visit Quebec (starting), Monreal, Ottawa and Toronto between Sep 17 and Oct 14. We are seniors and will have luggage but do not wish to rent a car unless we have to. What are the best alternative ways to get between those cities? Once in the cities I'm sure that local city tours, public transportation and walking would do fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
237 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Services Touristiques Feuille d'Erable
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Local Quebec Food Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours
Quebec Mandarin Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Xavier Your Private Guide
Walking Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between cities without car

Between Montreal and Québec City, the most convenient public transportation is the intercity bus https://www.orleansexpress.com/Search.aspx . There are hourly departures from each city to the other. The buses are clean, comfy and reliable. If you prefer benefitting from a bigger leg room, then the train is your other option, with less departures per day though www.viarail.ca . Both will take about the same time (3h15m). In both cases, you will leave from the same terminal, in Lower Town's Gare du Palais.

Montreal -> Toronto: the best mean of transportation is definitely the train.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Palais
Gare du Palais
148 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between cities without car

From another query I can tell you that there is a seat sale at Via right at this moment.

Otherwise the buses are clean and safe, not like something you can experience in the Deep South(I lived in Fort Lauderdale and the Greyhounds there were yuck..

By bus hourly departures are also possible from Montréal to Ottawa. One big advantage for the bus is that there is a stop in the downtown area there, where you can get off and the terminal to catch a return or one for Toronto is just a short cab ride away while the train station is really removed from the «action»

Considering that you have almost a full month to do your trip then I would suggest a much expanded ittinerary, for example doing a tour of the Gaspé Peninsula, visiting Charlevoix, go whale watching nearby, go to Mont-Tremblant and on the way to Ottawa make a stop at Montebello.

You might also want to go to Niagara Falls after Toronto and certainly visit the charming village of Niagara-on-the-Lake, may be stay there to attend a performance of the theatre festival, etc. etc.

What is important for us at the moment is to know a bit more about your tastes, likes and dislikes, still vigorous end able to do some trekking, etc.? And, most importantly an idea of your budget!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Mont Tremblant
Mont Tremblant
Quebec, Canada
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between cities without car

Thank you so much Rick B, Eirelover, and all of you for your quick attention and information. Based on your responses, it appears that we will have no problems between cities. The bus between Quebec City and Montreal (Orleans Express), the train or bus between Montreal and Ottawa, and the train to Toronto from Ottawa appear to be best for us.

To give you a better idea of our tastes and capabilities, we are celebrating our 51st Anniversary. Two years ago, we did a similar trip to Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle and Portland on trains, buses, ferries, etc and it went very well. Three years ago it was Paris, Lyons, Avignon (Provence), and Nice. We are not trekkers, but we love to walk. We are getting older (sorry to say) so our vigor has slightly diminished. Our primary interests are in the cultural, historical, and culinary aspects of each city and its surrounding area. Of course, the natural beauty and uniqueness of each is of special interest so we arrange as best we can for Day Trips. For example, as you have suggested, Niagara Falls is on our list for such a trip (BG Bus perhaps) for an overnight stay at the Falls at the very end of our trip. So, if you can suggest some such alternatives (City Tours, Day Trips, etc) I would appreciate it very much. (I'll also post this reply on the Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa forums).

Again, thank you all.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between cities without car

I already told you on your Montreal post that I prefered the train over the bus, as recommended by my esteemed colleague, Eirelover. I find it more comfortable, but I agree it doesn'r run nearly as often.

As for city tours, Quebec has one of the best with Tours Vieux Quebec, toursvieuxquebec.com. They offer a 4 hour tour which goes to nearby Ile d'Orleans, Montmorency Falls, higher than Niagara but not nearly as impressive, and St. Anne de Beaupre. They also stop at a small bakery which offers bread buttered with a maple butter that is to die for. This company also offers city tours but Quebec City is easy to cover by foot, though beware there are some hilly spots, especially between Lower and Upper town, so take the funicular between the 2 which is quite easy.

I do have a question for you. We went to Paris last year for the first time and are considering going back next year and taking the train from Paris to Nice. How was the train and how long was the trip? You can respond here by by private e-mail.

Thanks

JDP

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
237 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
784 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between cities without car

Go transit can get you from Toronto to Niagara Falls by train or bus depending on the day you go to NF....

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between cities without car

Well since you have posted your query on 3 different forums I will answer and focus on the Québec City one even though I will try to cover all the ground since I m supposed to be a DE for the whole Province of Québec and I know Southern Ontario quite well.

We could suggest different itineraries and expand from your original plans but for that we need more information about your budget. It is very difficult to estimate the exact cost of in hard dollars since, beside travel and lodging, you could choose different kind of restaurants and inexpensive or expensive attractions, etc. So let’s just say that I ask you about the possibility for you to stay at the Fairmont Hotels, or would you be more inclined to a B&B or smaller hotels, lower cost chains etc. For example we could use this place that is in the countryside but that I often recommend, the Fairmont Chateau Montebello, check the website: www.fairmont.com/montebello/ as a testing ground. So could you tell us if it could fit in your budget and tastes? That will help a lot to focus our suggestions.

Now the bad news. All of the area between Niagara Falls and Québec City is a boring plain so not so much sightseeing to do outside of the towns. You must go north of Québec City to really find spectacular scenery and north or east of Montréal just to see some mountains and rolling countryside. So would you mind going farther than Québec City at the beginning of your trip?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between cities without car

I will disagree with my friend rickb only slightly. I do think Ile d'Orleans, about 15 minutes outside of town, is a very pretty area. Small villages in a pastoral setting, it is charming and you might get the sense that you are traveling through the French countryside.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel between cities without car

@JDP more or less what I wrote. The first major feature in the countryside from Niagara Falls going northwest is Cape Diamond on which Québec City sits then the Laurentides are getting very close to the Saint-Lawrence just northwest of the city. Orléans Island is charming and quaint, just like the Eastern Townships but nothing to write home around. By the way if you are traveling to the Côte d'Azur along the Mediterranean into Northern Italy next summer you will see dramatic vistas all the way so for somebody that has traveled there it is much better to warn in advance that you won't find that in the Plain of Saint-Lawrence which is as flat as Florida.

But JDP chiming in made me rethink about the budget and tastes that I wanted to guess just by the Fairmont Montebello. Instead Dlefneslef I will give you 6 or7 different lodging options in Québec City and you can place them in your order of preference. Since Google is so easy to use I don’t give so much links anymore but here we go

Fairmount Chateau Frontenac www.fairmont.com/frontenac-quebec/

Auberge Place d'Armes www.aubergeplacedarmes.com/

Auberge J-A Moisan jamoisan.com/

Manoir de la Terrasse and other small Hotels du Parc www.leshotelsduparc.com/beau-site/

Auberge Saint-Antoine www.saint-antoine.com/

Youth Hostel (standard room wing) www.hihostels.ca/quebec/173/HI-Quebec.hostel

Best Western Plus Quebec City Downtown www.hotelquebec.com/

Edited: 29 March 2013, 18:49
Mentioned in this post
Eastern Townships
Eastern Townships
Quebec, Canada
Florida
Florida
United States
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Hotel Manoir de la Terrasse
Hotel Manoir de la...
107 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Auberge Saint-Antoine
Auberge Saint-Antoine
2,293 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
9. Re: Travel between cities without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 05:16