We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Yup!

Time for my yearly update on these two shows. Well in English it would be Image Mill by Ex Machina and Invisible Paths, fifth instalment «The Harbor of Lost Souls» by Cirque du Soleil.

So funding was provided to create free Cirque du Soleil shows in the summer for five years. This year (2013) the shows are moving to a new location down by the riverfront. The good news is the new venue will seat up to 4,000 people for evening performances which begin between 8.30 and 9.30 pm (it depends of the time darkness falls.). Another good news is that everybody will have a seat while in the past years it was stand up except for VIP tickets of which I have not heard this year. I have found updatings for this year only in French so I will not bother with links at the moment. Strangely nothing on Cirque's own website.

So completely new and new area.

Image Mill will also be all renewed this year and will pay a special tribute to Norman McLaren, the genius of animation cinema that spent so many years in Canada doing his incredible movies but I am not sure at all if this will please the usual vacationers. This will still be projected on the Bunge grain silos that are 600 meters long. The main viewing area is very large and you can see this show from other parts of town, just bring a radio with you to catch the music. So you can bring your own chairs or just stand up in the main area. There was a VIP section in the last years too but, again, no news about that yet.

Finally also new for this year, you will be able to attend both shows in the same evening and even catch up the fireworks later on on selected dates. Also note that the fireworks are not at Montmorency Falls anymore but set right in the middle of the Saint-Lawrence River, facing the historical parts of the City.

The unfortunate news is the at this may be the last summer for the free shows unless more funding is secured.

Santa Clarita...
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Oh, when do these summer performances start? My wife & I will be in Quebec June 5-7. Would they start that soon? Thanks.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
178 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Just googled it: cirquedusoleil.com/en/…show.aspx Says it starts June 23! And I was planning on us being in Montreal that night, after having been in Quebec City on the 21st & 22nd!!! Maybe I should change my plans to do only 1 night in Montreal & stay over another night in QC!!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

CruisinKD I had found that link and then couldn't find it anymore on the computer I am currently using that seems totally French oriented. Actually your link didn't work but I did a new search and I found it and in English. The curious thing is that it is completely separate from the main Cirque website. No mention of VIP tickets there neither.

cirquedusoleil.com/en/…maps-info.aspx

This new show will take place at Agora du Vieux-Port which, according to press releases can sit 4,000. My piece of advice would be to get there at least one hour in advance and 1h30 for the last 2 weeks in July. which are construction vaaction in the Procince. Schedule: from Tuesday to Saturday, the fun starts at sundown at the following times:

•June 23 to July 31 starting at 9:15 pm

•August 1st to September 1st starting at 8:25 pm

If you want to see videos and slide shows of Image Mill from previous years and also all the current informations, here's the direct link: lacaserne.net/index2.php/other_projects/

Finally I tried the link provided by CruisinKD again and it worked!

Edited: 22 May 2013, 14:43
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

I saw Agora being built a while back. Outdoor amphitheatre I think best describes it. RIght next to the Café du Monde. What a great location.

http://www.agoraportdequebec.ca/

You can see the café du monde in the photo above left. It should make for some interesting dining and I imagine that the resto will be more packed than usual.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 15:14
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

I have some updates about Cirque du Soleil show at the Agora. It seems that most of the bleachers will be removed and the show will be stand up like in the previous years. The good news is that this way the Agora would be able to accomodate more people, 5,000 to be exact.

Both of the links given by CruisinKD and myself seems to work but then there is a mention of «Reservations also available : www.billetech.com». I went there and found that reserved tickets cost $20 p.p. and there is no mention of seats or that it is VIP.

By the way the Cirque show will start at 9h15 pm in June/ July and Image Mill show begins at 10:15 p.m. in June and July, so I expect that Cirque show will be around 45 minutes long since this year the City wants to make it possible to see both in the same evening. People will be able to proceed from the Agora to the main viewing section for Image Mill in the Old Port in time.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Hello Everyone,

Is the free show only limited on the first one? I'll be visiting Quebec City this weekend and was thinking of catching the show on one of the night.

Please let me know. I tried clicking on the billetech and was asking for $20.00 each.

Please let me know whether I need to reserve the free ticket or just go there early and hope to get in for free?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Go early and hope for free. Stand up only though and you don't have to go to Image Mill afterward. It is just that this year by moving Cirque and adjusting the schedules a bit you can catch both in the same evening, something impossible in previous years.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

I am going to be in Québec City next week the nights of 23rd and 24th July so am thinking of watching these shows on the 23rd. I have found several comments about these shows left on other similar topics on the forum but I will try and leave my 2 cents in here too whenever I gain access to internet next week.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Does this mean that if you reserve a ticket using the general ticket reservation system you will be guaranteed a seat?

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

If you purchase a general admission ticket for Les Chemins, via the below site are you guaranteed seating? I am traveling with someone who cannot stand for long periods of time and it would be worth it for me to reserve a ticket and pay the $20 if it meant guaranteed seating?

billetech.com/event/…