We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Hi All,

We are thinking of visiting Quebec city in August long weekend for 3 nights 4 days. We are travelling with our friends so we will be 4 adults and 3 kids all under age of 4. Can someone suggest us where to stay? Lower or upper town (which one is better)? We will prefer where we don't have to take out our car at all unless needed. Any recommendation for the hotels? Our budget is tight so we are open for a suite as well where we all can stay together.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Could you possibly specify what 'tight budget' means in $$$ ?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Hi,

We have a budget of $300 per night inclusive of taxes for one suite where we all can stay together or around $150 for a single room per couple if we cant find a suite.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

That is a very tight budget as you are not looking for rooms for two, you are looking for family size rooms. Rooms for $150 after tax that will accommodate 3 or 4 are rare indeed, You either would have to stay out of town a little in St Foy and drive in daily or look at the Quebec City Youth hostel. They have private family rooms with en suite and included breakfast. Private rooms are set away from the regular hostel rooms and are only a couple of years old. It is located in the old city and an easy walk to most things. This would be my budget option and I have stayed there a few times.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

We are returning to Quebec City for a long weekend in August ourselves. Last year, we stayed at the Hilton and although nice enough, it was quite a hike to get to different areas of the city for restaurants,shops etc. Very difficult with strollers and young kids trying to walk up and down the steep hills. In my opinion, the Fairmont Frontenac is the only logical choice with such young children travelling with you. We are travelling with a senior this year and staying at the Fairmont. They have a special 2 nights get 1 free special promotion. Its still a bit more than what your budget is, but you may want to consider it and have an enjoyable long weekend!

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
327 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Have you considered renting an apartment? I rented a 2 bedroom apartment through VRBO for 1200/week inclusive inside the walls near the citidel including parking. We find apartments much roomier and allows you to live more like a native. If interested I will be staying next week and can give a review.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Thanks for all the information guys......I mean if that is the case we can increase the budget to $200.00/night but anything more than I am thinking is kind of pricey for a 3 night hotel stay if I am just spending over 800$ just on hotel stay.

Like I mentioned daily commute back and forth will not be an option as we have 3 kids and will be hard on them as well. If upper town is more expensive then maybe we can stay in lower town. We don't mind staying in a B&B or an apartment if its within our budget. Where can we look for an apartment in upper town?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Hi, I have the same question. I am planning to travel (family of four ) first week of August and would like to stay outside Quebec City - something like condo/town. What would be suggestions? bidget about $300-350 per night - 5 or 6 nights.

Thank you in advance.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Hi All,

I think I have found one in upper town within our budget. Place is called Château de Léry. For 3 nights we are getting around $352 plus tax. Can anyone give us a little more details on this particular place? How far in the upper town and if its within walkable distance to all tourist spots? Anyone previously stayed at this place who can tell us if its good?

Thanks!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155033-d577913-…

Above are the reviews of the hotel you found. The location is very good as is it in the old walls.

Did you check out the youth hostel option I suggested. It is a 4 star hostel and you will get rooms within original budget. As well as breakfast daily you will get access to a full kitchen and huge fridges to store food safely. This is how we do budget Quebec City, especially with kids as there are lounges and common rooms for hanging out.

The problem with Quebec City, a bit like NYC, is the area of interest is very, very small compared to the number of visitors. This makes hotel rooms pricey, and bargains rare. It is always easier to find deals for two people, but the minute you toss in a kid, or two, things add up fast.

You can look on VRBO fro apartments, there are not many budget ones either. I have found that ones that will take larger groups are harder to find and cost quite a lot.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in quebec city during August long weekend?

Thanks all for you help!.......We might just increase our budget to stay at Fairmont which is coming to around $1000.00 for 3 nights.....Lets see!! but I will post once we book the hotel and then you guys can help us planning our itinerary for 2 1/2 days we will be there...