We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to quebec city with teens

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Nova...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
travelling to quebec city with teens

I am travelling with a 16 yr old boy and 14 year old girl this Tuesday and leaving Thursday; we are staying at the Best Western and would really like to walk around Old Quebec city. We dont want to use our car that much and I would like to know what are the MUST SEE attractions, shops and restaurants that are not expensive.

Monteverde Cloud...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

Hi there, I have been travelling with my two older teens, too...16 year old girl and 13 year old son. We have been here for 2 weeks.

Here are some things that we have done that may help you out: We park our car at one of the metered spaces in Old Quebec and then walk everywhere. The old city has an upper and lower section that you can access via stairs near the Champlain Statue in front of the Frontenac. The stairs are not bad...you can take the funicular for fun. You can wander for hours. Be sure to see Place Royal and Petit Champlain in the Basse (lower) Ville. I have found the restaurants everywhere to be very expensive. We ate one night at Le Billig...a crepe restaurant on Rue de Jean. This was an amazing meal and very different. That meal came to about 100 dollars for the 3 of us...including 3 main entrees, 2 glasses of local cider and the kids had some non alcoholic mast cider with their meal. The meal was fantastic, the service great...read the reviews. We often will try poutine at different restaurants for a not so expensive snack. Try eating the lunch meals in the restaurants...less expensive or buying from the market and making your own meals for a picnic. Lots of places to sit and eat for a LOT less. The Port Market has really delicious strawberries!

We also went to the Chutes de Montmorency. I am glad we went but it wouldn't be a highlight of our trip. You can see the falls from the road 138 East. After the falls, we went to Ile d'Orleans. We had a great day driving around there...very pretty. We stopped at a place to sample cider and local products...the weather was iffy that day so we decided to do that because it involved driving.

We took the Ferry over to Levis...fun to do for a few hours. Get off and walk up the steps to the sleepy town of Levis. There is a great Chocolate shop with the best ice cream...Chocolat Flavoris...or something to that effect. It is reviewed also...really worth the trip for the best chocolate dipped soft ice cream you will ever have. The Ferry trip is really fast but affords great views of the city. Round trip per person about 6.50

We are going to try Baie de Beauport today where you can rent kayaks and boats. We'll let you know how it goes.

My kids just like the atmosphere of the Terrasse by the Frontenac in the evenings...street performers and lots of people.

We still have 2 more weeks here so we are spreading out our activities. I heard the Civilization museum has an interesting gaming exhibit that teens would probably enjoy.

Also, there are free outdoor concerts at the Plains of Abraham...just look that up online...nice way to spend an evening outdoors in the park.

If you have bikes, you can bike along the Rue de Champlain...a very long bike route along the river. Really pretty place to bike and picnic. I think you can rent them at the Quebec City Yacht club if you don't have bikes.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.

Sydney, Nova...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

have you checked out the cirque de soleil and villages vacances water park.....also there is supposed to be free fireworks display in the evenings...what about shopping...thank you so much for your info....

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

Yes, I was going to recommend Cirque du Soleil. They do a nightly show (for free!!!) down by the water in old port. The show begins at 9-9:15pm but I suggest you line up at around 8pm. After Cirque there is another free show called "Image Mill" where they play films on the wall of a silo of National Film Board animation genious, Nelson McLaren. This is set to music but it's best if you take a small radio with you as it's broadcast over the airwaves. Image Mill begins right after Cirque du Soleil finishes starting at around 10pm. The Cirque show is about 1 hour long as is Image Mill. A friend of mine went last week and said it was the highlight of his trip.....especially Cirque du Soleil. Best thing of all is that it's free. Have fun.

Monteverde Cloud...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

We haven't been to the Cirque du soleil yet but is has been recommended to me a few times. Those that have gone thought it was worth the crowds. They told me to stand at the top of the hill for the best vantage point.

I think the fireworks display over the river don't begin until August 3rd.

We have not been to the water park.

As for shopping, there is mall on Blvd. Laurier in the St. Foy/Sillery area. This is about 10 minutes from downtown Quebec. There are some neat shops and boutiques in the St. Roche area...Rue St. Joseph. You can park for free for a couple of hours on St. Joseph and walk up and down the street.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Sydney, Nova...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

best place for croissants and poutine......also restaurants that are reasonably priced,,,,(under 10 dollars),,,,,,keep the ideas coming....this is great

Sydney, Nova...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

also is there a shuttle from quebec city (near our hotel) to villages vacances

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

Restaurants under $10?? Good luck. Maybe McDonalds.

Sydney, Nova...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

how about cafes or pubs......bakeries

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

Even pubs will run you more than $10 I'm afraid....but not much more. You really can't get much for $10 these days. A burger and fries in a pub in QC will probably be around $12 or so. And yes, you can try bakeries too as a cheaper alternative. Maybe you can find a pizza place and that would be reasonable.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling to quebec city with teens

Casse-crêpes breton on St-Jean St, across the street from McDonald's http://cassecrepebreton.com/

You could also have yummy sandwiches made to order at Épicerie européenne, an Italian family-owned grocery store on St-Jean St (at #560), west of the wall.

In Lower Town: Buffet de l'antiquaire at 95 St-Paul, in the antiquaries neighbourhood http://cassecrepebreton.com/

You may also buy fresh produces and have a picnic, weather permitting -- stock up at Marché du Vieux-Port (farmer market) in Lower Town; in Upper Town, on St-Jean St, you can find within ablock: a grocery store (Intermarché), 2 nice bakery stores, a very old grocery store (J.A.Moisan) and an Italian grocery store (Épicerie européenne) for excellent cheeses and cold cuts, a vegetarian co-op grocery store (CRAC). See the bottom of this Traveler article for more specifics tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g155033-s405/Quebec-Ci…