We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation upper town

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation upper town

Can someone please recommend hotel that serves breakfast and has a lobby sitting area and lounge area with bar service. Traveling as a couple. Price range to stay around $200 per night if possible, or up to $250. Thank you much for advice?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation upper town

First, there is of course the iconic Chateau Frontenac, with large lobby, 2 restaurants, and the St. Laurant bar. Price range is also possibly, especially if using an on line discount service to book. Breakfast is not included.

Second, Auberge Place d'Armes. Breakfast is included, plus their restaurant is wonderful in its own right. No lobby or Seperate bar service, but the rooms are terrific, some with stone walls. A block from the Frontenac.

Also a block away is the Hotel Clarendon. Does have a restaurant and you can get a package including breakfast. Bar service also, lobby, plus jazz on some nights. Some rooms are small but convenient and affordable.

All have multiple reviews here.

JDP

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation upper town

I approuved my collegue but just to add, at Place d'Armes there is a kind of <lobby> not near the entrance but it is a great area with a fireplace, computer and free books. Also the bar section in the restaurant have been increased this spring so it is more cosy.

Manoir Victoria could also fit in your description

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation upper town

You're right whitestone, I did forget about that little area with the computer and books. And glad to hear about the bigger bar size. I haven't been back yet to QC this year, though hope to go either in the fall or end of the year.

JDP

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation upper town

Thank you both for helping me!!! Although I reseached, I appeciate the advice from the experts! First time to Quebec...but have been to France many times....which I love (maybe Quebec will be a touch of France but much closer!) Again many thanks!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation upper town

You are welcome. I finally went to Paris last year for the first time and and going again. Quebec City is probably the most "European" of any North American city, and some of it will indeed have that small town French feel. But as has been mentioned here many times in the past Quebec City, or the proveince for that matter, is not France so try to avoid comparisons that might bring disappointment. Quebecois culture stands out in its own right, and i'm sure you will love it. That said, if you are bringing your car, and want a French countryside pastoral feel, drive just 15 miles northeast to the beautiful Ile d'Orleans on the St. Lawrence river. You will ove it.

JDP

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation upper town

If you want a French countryside touch (read: smal, comfy rooms), I suggest La Maison du Fort, tucked away on a quiet and quaint little street, behind Château Frontenac. Used to be a B&B, but no formal breakfasts served anymore. Numerous breakfast options within a 1-block radius. Friendly and helpful host.

dev.hotelmaisondufort.com/index.php?lang=en

tripadvisor.com/…10

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155033-d258416…

On the other hand, if you were to consider a place that is famous for its gourmet breakfasts, J.A. Moisan B&B is highly recommended on this site

http://jamoisan.com/index.php?id=1294&L=2

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155033-d663101-…

7. Re: Hotel recommendation upper town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 06:19