We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

A texas man was arrested on arrival at Quebec City airport yesterday for carrying a firearm. The man and his wife were married the day before and were scheduled for their honeymoon in Quebec City. However the Canada Customs people at the airport found a firearm in the man's luggage and arrested him. He is scheduled for court appearance for later this fall.

The moral of the story: leave your firearms at home before crossing the border.

This is the story as it appeared in the daily Quebec City newspaper Le Soleil today (in French):

http://tinyurl.com/k2hzx3c

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

>>>>And this thread is in no way a travel question. >>>

It might not be a question but it is travel related and I find the topic to be rather informative.

Carthage, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

No idea if anyone still cares about this, but I thought I'd post the outcome of this situation.

A year ago today, I accidentally traveled with a handgun in my checked bag. I had stuck it in my suitcase, so I wouldn't have to worry about it sitting in my apartment while we were away. I meant to leave it at my parents' house, but with all the crazy wedding stuff going on, I forgot it was there. We got home after the wedding to find our bathroom flooded, so we didn't have a chance to repack our bags.

I completely forgot about the gun being in the bag until we arrived in Quebec and and officer asked me to follow him. The officers were incredibly polite (after the initial shock of some guy bringing a handgun to Canada), and I spent the night in the airport holding cell. My wife handled it amazingly, though she still doesn't like to talk about it.

The next morning, I was transported to the actual city jail and arraigned. I got a good lawyer, and bailed out. They let us stay for the duration of our honeymoon, and we still had a pretty good time. We went through all the legal hoops and court dates for the next 11 months.

The crown attorney dropped the criminal charges, and left me with a couple of customs violations. Those violations were turned into a summary conviction with a fairly large fine. I'm banned from Canada for 10 years, but I'm free to travel elsewhere.

In the end, I lost quite a bit of my savings account, but gained one heck of a wedding story. I didn't take the gun on purpose, I'm not an idiot, and now that it's all said and done, I feel like it was adventure worth talking about. It might not be my brightest moment, but we handled it, and went on with our lives.

I don't think I'll buy another handgun for a while though. Haha.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
237 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,184 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

That is some honeymoon story!

What did you do for the 11 months of legal hoops and court dates? Fly back and forth from Texas? Or did your lawyer do the talking?

Oh, I guess it's Happy Anniversary, too, lest that gets lost in the story.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 22:04
Carthage, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

Thank you!

The lawyer took care of everything. I just had to email her back and forth, digitally sign some paperwork, and she took care of the rest.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

Wow that really is quite the tale to tell. Very glad all ended as well as it did and that you were allowed to enjoy your honeymoon.

36. Re: Texas newlyweds will remember their honeymoon in Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:16