We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp, New York...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

Two couples traveling to Quebec City and renting condo on Quai Saint Andre street. Suggestions on lovely local restaurants to go to, do we need reservations? We are interested in taking a short tour to familiarize ourselves with the area as we have never been there. We are there Friday through Sunday. Are carriage tours still running? Excited to see the beautiful city we have heard so much about.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

You will be in Lower Town and if you want to learn about the set up I suggest that you consult the Top Questions (right hand box on top of this page), specifically "What is the difference between Upper and Lower Town?' and "I am confused about the layout of the city, how does it work?"

There are many restaurants in the area but the easiest to reach will probably the Québécois snack bar Buffet de l'Antiquaire and the large bistro Café du Monde in the Maritime terminal. Then as yu get closer to Place Royale there will be a very large choice of restaurants. Two of the most liked by tourists are Le Lapin Sauté and Le Cochon Dingue. If you are in shape you could walk to Upper Town but otherwise you could use the funicular located close to Place Royale and that will bring you in Upper Town on the Terrasse Dufferin boardwalk that goes along the Fairmont Château Frontenac. The Place d'Armes little square just across the street is the place to get a "calèche" aka carriage. Upper Town inside the walls (intramuros) has more restaurants than Lower Town and if you go extramuros on Grande Allé you will find even more. We could say that Upper Town offers a plethora of restaurants.

The best thing in Québec City is to walk all around in the historical part of Lower Town and Upper Town, and just wander with stops in cafés or touristic attractions and discover little streets that will be quiet just a stone throw from the very touristic areas. If you want to have a more classic tour you should look for Tours du Vieux Québec that offers many options.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

The carriage rides will still be operating. You'll see them just outside the Chateau Frontenac, as well as just outside the old city gate on Rue St. Louis.

Tours Vieux Quebec offers some great tours, toursvieuxquebec.com

If you are dining at night most places will require a reservation. Popular places to eat include Aux Anciens Canadien, offering predominately Quebecois dishes. Le Lapin Saute, in Lower town, specializing in duck and rabbit dishes. Le Continental, specializing in traditional and classic Frernch dishes. These are but a few, and some of my favorites. Check some of the reviews of other restaurants listed here as well.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

Sorry I should have writen Le Petit Cochon Dingue, the original Cochon Dingue being in a non touristy part of town. Actually you could try to walk to get to the original if you want to avoid the hordes coming from cruise ships and you will walk on flatland only. Another place that could be nice in Lower Town outside of the historical and touristy part is L'Affaire est Ketchup which will need a dinner reservation well in advance. The place is very tiny, the chefs are cooking on electric stoves (gosh!), manu changes daily and it is a teeny weeny place and it has been featured in Anthony Bourdain's Part Unknow. So it will be jam packed!

Antwerp, New York...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

Thank you for the information. We plan on doing a lot of walking the streets and hills and touring the sights. How far a walk to the Chateau Frontenac and upper town? Where should we head first? We are two couples late 40's, early 50's and like to wine, dine, laugh, stop at pubs, and see what we see along the way. Do you have a favorite steak house?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

It is easy from where you are to walk over to the funicular to take to Upper town and the Frontenac.

2 of my favorites places for a drink and snack in Lower town are L'Oncle Antoines, 29 Rue St. Pierre. A great little pub in a funky old stone building. Good beer slection and terrific french onion soup.

For wine and cheese, try Le Pape Georges, on the other side of Petit Champlain, and not too far from L'Oncle Antoines.

JDP

Antwerp, New York...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

i love it and will check them out. Thank you!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

Québec City is not a steak house town but there is a good one in the Gare du Palais train station. Not far from where you are staying and also in Lower Town so you will walk on flat terrain to get there.

If in Upper Town you could try L'Entrecôte Saint-Jean that is a bistro style place that serves steak "à la Française" i.e. with French fries, salad and sauce. Menu is very limited and I would say that 75% of the customers just order the table d'hôte special of the steak with appetizer and yummy profiteroles as the dessert.

If you are in shape you can walk to Upper Town by one of the streets than links both parts or if you walk all the way to Place Royale you can take the funiculaire as previously suggested. Get familiar with the city layout and you will see that it is far more easy to walk back to your hotel than the opposite. As we don't have the full adress of your hotel so it is a bit diffficult to give you more pinpointed suggestions.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

I like L'Échaudé in Lower Town, especially for weekday lunch when it's mainly locals and daily specials can be really yummy and excellent value.

http://www.echaude.com/?en

Mentioned Café du Monde has nice water views and is lovely for breakfast IMO.

And, also in Lower Town, there is il Matto if you like Italian, that's fun/lively at night and serves good food and cocktails.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d3…

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

I agree with Cafe du Monde. It is wonderful.

L'Echaude has good food, but the service is spotty, and I never enjoy sitting right next to another table so that it is almost impossible to have a conversation with the person I'm with.

JDP

10. Re: Suggestions for local restaurants, short sightseeing tours,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:18