We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

We are thinking of visiting Old Quebec for our Christmas break but are not sure if 3 or 4 days is enough or too many. We are coming from Florida so the cold will be a big (understatement!!) adjustment but we really wanted to try somewhere snowy & Christmassy and your beautiful city seemed to fit the bill :-)

We are a family of 4 (20&23 year old kids). We wanted to stay at Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac as that seems to be the most "christmassy" from all the reviews. We have no plans to ski but would do anything else that might be open at that time. We can travel between Dec 21 -28 and are trying to work out the best amount of time to spend there where we will be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city, restaurants & maybe a couple of winter activities (still looking into what there is to do) - but if most places are closed we didn't want to be stuck doing nothing much day after day if we picked the wrong dates to be there.

Any feedback would be appreciated :-) Many thanks in advance

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

If you are coming for a week, I'd do three nights in QC and four in Montreal...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

Thanks tdsuperstar - maybe my message was confusing :-) We are only looking to spend our time in QC and wanted to stay 3 or 4 days within the dates I mentioned not stay for 7 days :-) But from your response you are staying 3 nights will be enough?

Edited: 15 October 2013, 01:33
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

It depends which 3 days. Christmas Eve many places (stores and restaurants) will close early. Many places, especially stores, will be closed on Christmas Day. The day after Christmas is Boxing Day which is the equivalent of Black Friday and although many stores will be open, there will be places that remain closed for the holiday (yes, it's a holiday). So, if you'd like to be able to experience everything, make sure your visit includes a day or two outside of the 24th, 25th, and 26th. If you are planning to stay at Chateau Frontenac on any of those dates, make your accommodation and dining reservations asap.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

radio390,

I would say that three or four days is not too much time to spend in Quebec City, so you don't have to worry about that. Personally I would stay as long as you can. A few years ago we spent a week in Quebec City during the holiday season (including Christmas Day). We were not ready to leave after a week there. There is only one day that most everything is closed and that is the 25th. On the 24th stores close around 5:00. Some restaurants will close early also on Christmas Eve...but there are enough open to have a nice choice for both the 24th and the 25th. Most of the stores are closed Christmas Day (we did find the odd one open). Boxing Day is fun to be out and about grabbing some great bargains at the sales.

There are so many restaurants and little areas of the city to discover, plus a fabulous art gallery and museums if you want to do inside stuff on some of the days. But if you are dressed properly - for example it's important to bring a warm winter coat, a pair of winter boots with good grips, hat, scarf, mittens and bring layers, long johns and so forth ..if you do all that you will be able to walk around Old Quebec and enjoy the Christmas ambience at streets like the Rue de Petit Champlain, the area around Rue St. Paul and Rue St, Pierre to name a few.

You are going to love Quebec City. Winter there is my favourite time of the year especially during Christmas, it is nothing short of magical!!

Best wishes.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 02:31
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

Thanks very much we are really excited to visit now :-)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

If you're going to travel all that way then come for 4 nights!! You will all enjoy yourselves immensely and the Chateau Frontenac is a wonderful choice. My wife and I stayed there for 5 nights just after Xmas for New Years and we weren't bored for a second. Upgrade to the "gold floors" if you can. You won't be disappointed.....but yes, it may be very cold so you'll have to bring the appropriate clothing as mentioned. The city, as you can imagine, is gorgeous at this time of year.

Edited: 19 October 2013, 20:47
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

We are now staying 6 nights the Fairmont have a special so 2 nights were free :-) Does anyone have a recommendation for where to eat on Christmas day? I know the hotel is offering something but we wondered if there were more local fun places that might be open on Christmas day.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

Le Patriarche is a charming restaurant, very cozy to have dinner there on Christmas Eve or one of the other days you are in the city. I am not sure if it is open on the 25th though. Panache is open on the 25th. It is a fabulous restaurant....it is pricey, but lovely and memorable for a special occasion.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

A fun place might be Portofino. It's a pizzeria on Rue St. Jean. Usually it's quite busy, pretty noisy and in general it is a fun place to grab some Italian. Sometimes they also have live music. The food isn't the greatest you'll find in Quebec City but it's certainly not the worst either. The atmosphere, however, is excellent if you're looking for a fun dinner. You'll have to see if they are open or not though.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How many nights to stay over Christmas Break

Thanks again we will check out all your suggestions :-)