We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January or February 2014 help

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
January or February 2014 help

Hello! My husband and I are expecting our first baby (May 2014), and we are trying to figure out a fun trip to take before the baby comes. We have never been to Canada before and are looking to possibly visit in January or February. We have contemplated going to Quebec City and perhaps Montreal for a range somewhere of 7-10 days. Would you recommend a visit this time of year? Will there be plenty to do, or do many attractions close down this time of year? If you do recommend it, how might you split up the trip (if it all), and what would you include? Thank you so much in advance for helping us put together a special trip.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January or February 2014 help

Well it is a bit difficult to guide you at the moment since we don't know about your tastes and budget. And for budget we need $ numbers as your moderate might be my luxury or vice versa.

If you like winter then yes Montréal and Québec City will be ideal.

You can start by looking at the green ribbon on top of this page and look more closely at the Things to Do, Restaurants and Hôtels sections. You could also do the same on the Montréal forums and also look at the Top Questions in the box at the upper right side of this page to get a better grasp of what questions are usually asked.

So then you could come back and ask more specific questions or validation of your picks.

If booking flights soon you might think of arriving in Montréal and leaving from Québec City if possible. No need for cars in both cities and you can travel between them by train (Via Rail) or very nice intercity bus service (Orléans Express)

Also keep in mind your condition and look for a good traveler medical insurance as we have full Medicare in the province but it doesn't cover foreigners.

Hope thei help... Oops I forgot to mention that the Québec Carnival is from January 31 to February 16, You might appreciate this winter celebration but also might want something more quiet before or after . http://carnaval.qc.ca/en/

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January or February 2014 help

There will be enough things to do but you have to dress accordingly because most attractions will be outside. (beside Museums...) January is the coldest month of the year. When I say cold.. I mean really cold sometimes. The weather is generally better in the second half of February. Average weather for Québec city:

…weather.gc.ca/climate_normals/…

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January or February 2014 help

rickb - Travel is one of the things we definitely don't mind splurging on. We typically stay in 4 or 5 star hotels (and often enjoy boutique places but stay at larger chains as well from time to time). We also definitely don't mine spending extra on a great food experience.

4. Re: January or February 2014 help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:18