We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to Quebec City in May

Chicago
Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
going to Quebec City in May

My husband and I are going to Montreal in mid-may as he has a medical conference there. Since I am pretty much on my own during the day, I was planning to do a day trip to Quebec City - what would be some key things to see while I'm there, since it's only a day trip. I've heard nothing but good things about the city from my brother, who visited there many years ago.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to Quebec City in May

It is a bit of long day trip, I would recommend at least going overnight if you are going to go to QC from Montreal.....

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to Quebec City in May

It is possible by train or bus to go round trip on the same day but you will have a very long day! It is at least 2 1/2 - 3 hour trip each way.

Once you are there, you might have time to walk around in the old part of the city...

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to Quebec City in May

I agree, make it an overnight trip at least if you can. I do believe there is also a bus tour that leaves from downtown Montréal, hitting some locals sites with time to do a little exploring of the old city, but it is a very long day and you won't get back until evening.

JDP

quebec city
Level Contributor
360 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to Quebec City in May

It is feasible if you leave early in the morning and come back some time late afternoon or in the evening. Duration of the trip by bus is between 3 hours and 3 1/2 in both directions. Avoid the 7.45 AM departure which is a local route. Bus is less comfortable that train but a lot more convenient when it comes to the number of departures. Both bus stations in Montréal and Québec City are conveniently located. If you're 60 or over you have a 10% discount on your bus ticket. I would suggest you take a cab after getting off the bus at the station and stop by at the tourist office at 12 Ste Anne street facing Château Frontenac.

www.quebecvilletours.com/eng/tours.html

If you have more questions feel free to ask. If you let us know about your specific interests maybe we could guide you with activities you could do by yourself. A few hours is not much but enough to have fond memories of an area.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to Quebec City in May

Hi spbeam.

If it is possible for you to overnight it I agree with the above posts. I live in a very isolated area in Northern Ontario and it takes pretty much an entire day of travel to get just about anywhere - so I am used to travelling long distances in one day. In saying that I have taken a day trip a few years ago from Montreal to Quebec City and back to Montreal the same day. I was totally exhausted and personally wouldn't do it again/ I would make it an overnight. Please don't take any remarks as discouraging with your short time frame, it's just that there is so much to do there the extra time would be a real bonus for you. It is a safe city and you could have your choice of a number of accommodations that would allow you to be near all kinds of interesting things to do. As well as steps away from many, many restaurants. I hope you are able to make it to Quebec City regardless of whether it is a day trip or am overnight excursion. Seeing you will be that close it is really worth experiencing it.

To answer your question regarding ideas on what to do. A few suggestions to get you started....see the Fontaine de Tourny, The Chateau Frontenac, lunch at Le Parliamentaire (if it's a week day). The Museum of Civilization, and the Rue de Petit Champlain. I would encourage you to read the Top Questions About Quebec City (to the right on the top part of this page)...you will get many more ideas and see what best suits your taste.

Quebec City is a lovely city in every way, I really hope you can make it.

6. Re: going to Quebec City in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 06:18