We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
L C
Greensboro, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

I'm hoping to enroll in an intensive French course for about 5 months in Quebec City, starting mid-June. The school has homestay accommodations available, but I'm not sure I want to go that route and I'm too old for a hostel ;0) Does anyone have any recommendations for temporary housing (at a fairly reasonable price)? Merci!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

What is reasonable? Where in the city is the course located??

L C
Greensboro, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

I'm looking at several different schools but leaning towards one located in the Saint-Roch neighborhood. As far as price goes, I'm looking to to spend <$1200/mo.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

Doing your due diligence OF course

check out www.kijiji.ca/h-ville-de-quebec/1700124…

There will be short term rentals, roommate situations, vacation rentals

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

Check on www.airbnb.com

You might ne able to negociate a monthly rent.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 01:11
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

Note that colleges (CEGEP) are starting their fall session in late August and Laval University in early September. It will be fairly easy to rent something on a monthly basis from mid June to mid / end of August but when the students are back in town it will be another ballgame since they will need lodging for 8 or 9 months so that's way better from the renter point of view.

Also Laval University résidences will be available to anybody for summer too but not longer afterward if you don't study at the University.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,802 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

Oh if the homestay is a possibility why not doing it? Much better way to get fluent when you interact with people in French. Small appartment and you will be all by yourself. Also during high touristic season everybody in the tourism industry will switch to English in a snap when they hear your accent. Of course you can ask to be served in French but, let's,s be frank, in the name of efficiency and speed you will probably end up being served in English anyways. So homestays are your best bet at communicating in French and easily reach the hallmark point when your mind start thinking in French and not translating everything in English.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

Fair assessment rickb...

L C
Greensboro, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

Thanks to all for the suggestions. rickb, I have been going back and forth on the homestay. I know it would be better for my French to stay with a family, but I really prize my privacy. Definitely have some decisions to make.

9. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to copyright infringement. By law, we must remove any messages that include content protected by copyright which has been reproduced without direct permission from the author/publisher -- this includes but is not limited to items copied and pasted from online news agencies, magazines and commercial/personal websites, trademarks, passwords, confidential information, or intellectual property of any other person.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 15:47
10. Re: Accommodations for 4-5 month stay this summer/early fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:19