We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Quebec to Halifax

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Quebec to Halifax

Thinking of taking train from Quebec to Halifax at end of September - is this a good trip? Any better suggestions for this part of our travels?

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

It's an overnight train. So you will not see much for a while. It leaves Quebec City around 10h30pm... and arrives the next day around 6h30pm in Halifax.

https:/…

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

We've taken this train and from a sightseeing standpoint you won't see much. There is some scenery early in the morning near the mouth of the St. Lawrence river which is pretty, and a little more at the outskirts of the Bay of Fundy but that's it. I will say the food on board isn't bad, and they also offer a wine tasting.

If scenery is the primary interest then this is not the trip.

JDP

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

So what is the best option for this trip?

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

I would fly from Montréal to Halifax (doesn't look like any flights to anywhere in Atlantic from Québec City ), then drive around.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

Hy JDP, so what is the best way to get to Halifax?

Seems like all flights go back thru Montreal or Toronto.

Maybe we should fly Chicago to Quebec, then go back to Montreal and fly to Halifax?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

That's one idea, fly to Québec first. But let me say this. If the scenery is not a big issue then the train is fine. Food is better than expected, and the service is fine. And it is the most direct way there from Québec unless you drive. I wouldn't rule it out completely unless you want to see some wonderful scenery which unfortunately you won't see.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

Train is less stressful if you don't want to take planes back and forth. And car rental can be quite expensive with a rental in Québec City and drop off in Halifax. Of course being an overnight train it is Worth it if you rent a roomet, otherwise ouch the next morning!

By the way this train doesn't stop in Québec City per se but in Charny on the south shore. There is a shuttle that brings you from Garde du Palais to the train station in Charny.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

<By the way this train doesn't stop in Québec City per se but in Charny on the south shore. There is a shuttle that brings you from Garde du Palais to the train station in Charny.>

Actually VIA is changing this - I believe in the summer... the Halifax train will now depart from Ste. Foy, not Charny.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

The Charny train station will close on Oct. 22 …radio-canada.ca/regions/quebec/2013/07/25/0…

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Quebec to Halifax

That article is from July 2013, so I'd assume the Charny station is closed now. If you try to book a ticket from QC to Halifax, the itinerary directs you to Ste.Foy.