We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outside of Quebec City Proper

Florida
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Outside of Quebec City Proper

Will be in Quebec City for 3 days and, besides exploring the city itself, I think we'd like to go to Montmorency Falls, Sainte Anne de Beaupre, and also take a tour of Ill d'Orleans. Seems as though you take 440 connecting with 138 to Montmorency Falls and to Sainte Anne de Beaupre. Then 368 across the bridge and around Ill d'Orleans. First thing, is there any public transportation that goes to these areas? If not, is it advisable to rent a car? We are staying in the Saint Roche area on Rue du Pont just off 440 (Boul Charest East). Is that the old town or not? And, how is parking in that area?

Thank You, in advance, for any advice given.

Tours Voir Quebec
Food Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Old Quebec Tours
Bus Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Caleches Quebec
Sightseeing Tours
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

You are staying outside the old city, if it is a rental you should ask the owner about parking locally (lots of restrictions depending on the day and month) and as to whether the rental is legal, as in inspected, insured by the Quebec government, they will have a rating, a plaque and certificate if it is.

Currently the Quebec government is cracking down on illegal rentals as these types of places tends to be avoiding paying taxes. All legal rentals are listed on the bonjourquebec website, if you do not find yours their you can safely assume it is illegal.

I would rent a car for day trips. Ile d'Oreans can only be enjoyed by car.

Florida
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

I would be renting from Enterprise as I'm quite sure they are 100% legal. As you advise, I will ask in that neighborhood what the availability of parking is. Thanks again.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

I believe bogwoppit was referring to the place you are staying, not the car.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

Yes the vacation rental.

Florida
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

I've got a condominium through AIRBNB. AIRBNB has been in business for many years and I've used them all over the world. The owner of the condo has been also renting for a few years as there are many previous renters that give reviews about their stay. By the way, I queried the owner and she said that there was plenty of parking on the street and there were also a few garages for a daily fee.

Tried to figure out the bonjourquebec website. However, it's not very user friendly and I would not know how to find out, using this website, if this residence is legal according to Canadian law or not. I would imagine that would be between the owner and AIRBNB anyway.

Thanks for the information, though.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

Many owners of condo will not give you the correct answer because they just don't want to conform themselves to the law. Just ask if they are rated by the CITQ which is the organism that certifies properties in Quebec.

As for your question, St-Roch is not old town and in this area of town you definitely should have a secure parking. Quebec is a safe city but there is some areas that need secrue parking and St-Roch is one of them.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,780 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

As for what you want to visit, I would rent the car. You can visit all 3 in one day, or take your time and perhaps do the bascillica and the falls in one day, the island on another. And yes, the island is best visited by car.

JDP

Florida
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

Actually the condominium is located on Rue du Pont just south of 440 (Boul Charest East) near Rue Sainte Magurite. It's also near the University of Quebec. Don't know if this address is right in the St-Roche area or not as Google Maps seemed to indicated that it was.

Is there a specific reason for not parking on the street in this area?

Florida
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

JDP..........................We're planning on visiting most areas within and around the city proper for the first two days. I guess mostly on foot and possibly taking the Funicular and Ecolobus. My understanding is that QC is a city that can be enjoyed best through walking. On the last day, a Monday, we will rent a car and see the outlying areas. I'm really looking forward to seeing this beautiful city. I just hope that we have decent weather for the May 10th through May 13th time frame. Regardless, we will be bringing sweater and jacket. Don't know whether we will just keep the car and drive to the airport as the rental charge per day is about the same price, so I've been told, as a taxi to the airport.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,212 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outside of Quebec City Proper

The only issue with legality, and you, is that the Quebec government is currently cracking down on illegal rentals. Closing them down and fining the owners. That is the only way it can affect you. Often the people in neighbouring condos get tired of tourists wandering through the halls and report them.

Yes Airbnb is safe money wise, I use them myself, though I have learned that in some places, like Quebec and NYC, rentals under 30 days are illegal unless inspected etc by the powers that be. It really creates a minefield for tourists as it places the responsibility to check local laws on their shoulders.

You could take the risk, your choice.

I agree the bonjour quebec website is very clunky. The owner will know whether the place was inspected and rated or not, so best way to check is by asking.

cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/airbnb-underground…

huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/26/airbnb-quebec-g…