We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pack for Third week of May

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How to pack for Third week of May

Will be staying in Beaupre for a week starting May 17th with a car. Planning to spend some time in Quebec City, the various falls, Ste. Anne's, hopefully a long day trip to Tadoussac and lle'Orleans. Three adults and Two brand new college graduates.

Starting to pack and stay within a carryon size bag so that all our bags will fit in the trunk. Trying to only bring what is necessary, are slacks and jeans and some light weight long sleeve shirts and a lightweight jacket sufficient this time of year? Been following the weather and it looks like it's starting to approach the 60's during the day. Will it be warm enough for short sleeves? We're from Georgia where the climate is a little more temporate although we did have a very cold and snowy winter this year and it has just gotten warm this week.

Also, from what I read it's a little early for lle'Orleans real beauty. Any suggestions on how to make it memorable and what we should be sure not to miss?

Thank you!!!!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

Hi there ! Definetely bring at least one warmer jacket or hoodie per person. At night, especially near the water (lakes and st-Lawrence river) it gets very windy and you might be cold. Especially if you plan on going on a wales Watch cruise or any type of boat, it will get COOOLLLDDD !

The weather in May is unpredictable. You might have some good days where you will be comfortable in short-sleeves but the next day it might be raining. Make sure you bring a wind/rainjacket.

usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

Perfect! Thank you!

Mont Tremblant...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

May is not really the time for whale watching but I just checked and Croisièeres Dufour will start today actually! It can bitingly cold on the Saint-Lawrence at this time of the year so pick a full boat and not a zodiac. Also most of our "fair weather activities" will not start until the week end of your arrival which is our Victoria Day. It is really early in the season for many things, including Orléans Island.

As per what to wear you got a good reply already I will just suggest that you pack some plastic ponchos that you can find in dollar stores. They cost almost nothing and takes very little place / weight.so try to find some to bring with you as you might have problem finding a dollar store in the touristic areas. If you still think about doing a whale watching cruise I will suggest that you really bring some better jackets. Last Labor Day I was in Québec City, attending a show in the Agora along the river and I had to buy muself a polar fleece because it was really getting cold at night and it was still in Québec City where the river is not so wide, not like in Charlevoix where they don't call it "la mer" (the sea) for nothing.

usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

Thank you for the additional info. We are mostly interested in seeing the fjord with a hope of seeing whales specifically belugas. Is the boat trip worth the fjords?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

I agree on bringing a little bit of everything with regards to clothing in order to be on the safe side.

With regards to Ile d'Orleans, the island is very idyllic, consisting of small villages and beautiful pastoral scenery. Simply enjoy what it has to offer. Hopefully it will be in good weather, but no matter what it is unlike anything on the mainland.

JDP

usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

Oh goody just what i was hoping to hear. About how much time will it take for a leisurely exploration? Thank you!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

It depends on what you want to stop and see. There are of course wineries where you can stop and sample and tour, some wonderful restaurants, orchards, and a few specialty shops. You can easily tour the island in a half day, longer if you make more stops. It is also very scenic so there is picture taking time as well. As soon as you cross the bridge there is a tourist office on the right. Stop there for all the attractions.

JDP

usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

Wonderful!! Thank you so much! We're really looking forward to it.

9. Re: How to pack for Third week of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17