We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale-watching

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Whale-watching

We will be traveling from Maine to Quebec City in July. I am undecided if we will stay in QC and day-trip from this location or continue our travels closer to the location where we whale-watch. Has anyone used a tour company that picks up from QC? If so, the name and experience. Tadoussac appears to keep surfacing as the place to go. If so, what company is best? Is it an easy drive? Thank you!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale-watching

If you leave Qc city with the companies, you will either take a bus up north or board an overnight cruise (night in a nice hotel overlooking the river). Tadoussac is the most interesting place for me because it has the marine mammal interpretation center and also some places you can walk just beside the water and see some whales if you’re lucky. Other places less far up north like St-Siméon saves you some driving time and the boats all go in the same area. If you have time, I prefer Tadoussac.

http://www.dufour.ca/en/excursions/list/

croisieresaml.com/en/…

viator.com/tours/…d626-3571Q_WW

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale-watching

We did the same trip last year and enjoyed it immensly. I would recommend you drive as it is a very beautiful drive up the coast with picture pretty villages. Also in La Malbaie there is a great Fairmount hotel which is reasonable and great restaurants in La Malbaie. We saw many wales and really enjoyed it. Dress warmly as it is cold on the water (never warms up). I would suggest you take a day to drive from Quebec and stop at the villages, pre reserve your whale watching for the next and come back to Quebec the following. Or if you visit Quebec first, there is a ferry that crosses the St Laurent saving you the time of returning to Quebec. Enjoy, and sharpen up your French.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale-watching

Forgot to mention, book on the zodiac tours and not the big boat tours. The zodiacs are safe and comfy plus they are permitted to be closer to the whales than the big boats. It is a much more personal experience'

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale-watching

If you do choose a Zodiac be aware the usual trip is 3 hours+ and theres no bathrooms,drink accordingly.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale-watching

Thank you all for your suggestions. I contacted AML to confirm their weather policy. Essentially, you pre-pay and hope the weather holds out. I asked if in the event of inclement weather they would switch us from the Zodiac to the bigger vessel. No promises. AML suggested getting the cruise at Baie-Sainte-Catherine, approximately 2 hours from Quebec City. Thoughts? t is my understanding the difference is the ferry?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale-watching

Baie Ste Catherine is close to the area where the whales are so you spend little time travelling to and more time seeing. Also as I suggested in my previous comments consider spending the night before in Baie St Paul and enjoy the ride to by stopping in the small towns on the way.

As to the zodiacs, they move around very quickly to the sites where the whales are vs the big boat. If your objective is to see whales then go for it, if it's to have a comfortable cruise with 3 or 4 bus groups then take the big boat. On the zodiacs they provide full wheather proof and floating orange suites that keep you warm and dry.

Level Contributor
246 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale-watching

Can I join this thread? Are the zodiacs safe for kids ages 7 and 4?

Also I'm not sure I'm following you on the ferry? Where would I get the ferry?

We are studying in QC and want to drive to a whale watching tour... Was thinking Tadoussac but if there's a closer one, we'd do that.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale-watching

There is a ferry to cross the mouth of the Saguenay fjord between Baie-Ste-Catherine and Tadoussac. Very short.

Others might think differently, but there is no way I would take a 4yo on a zodiac. Even 7yo seems young to me, but I am sometimes too careful with kids, apparently.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale-watching

If you are going to Tadousac then you need to take the ferry, but for whale watching the main dock is just before the ferry at baie Ste Catherine, so there is no need to take it. Having been on the zodiac, I would not be concerned about a 4 or 7 years old, these are big zodiacs with about 20 passengers. I would call the company to see if they allow it and have life jackets/suites for them first.

10. Re: Whale-watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16