We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

nyc
Level Contributor
649 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

I'm looking for an overnight stay along the way. I was thinking going via I-87/NY one way and stopping at Lake Placid, and possibly going via I-91/VT the other direction. I have been to Lake George numerous times but never Lake Placid. I have not been thru Vermont, so looking for possible suggestions going that route or any other recommendations?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

If you went 91 thru Vermont either way one place to stop is Lebanon NH/White River Junction VT. Plenty of places to stay and eat.

Obviously Lake Placid would be terrific, a bit off of 87, though I don't know where to stay.

If you want to stay about 2 and a half hours from Quebec City, try just over the border in the Eastern Townships, www.easterntownships.org. If you don't mind spending a few dollars Manoir Hovey is great situated on a lake with a great restaurant. Another wonderful spot, a little less expense, is L'Auberge du 4 Saisons, in Mont Orford. Great dining as well.

JDP

nyc
Level Contributor
649 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

Thanks - will look into those possibilities.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

We often stop at Saratoga Springs on our way up, or Burlington Vermont, the Shelburne museum and the winery are both awesome places to visit.

Other fun stopovers could be Stowe, you could check out the Notch, stunning spot.

nyc
Level Contributor
649 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

For scenery and photo ops, would it be better to stay in Burlington / Stowe, VT or in Lake Placid, NY (go thru White Face Mountain Hwy) ?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

Burlington Stowe is closer to Quebec City than Lake Placid for sure, having been to all three I would say there is more in the Burlington/Stowe area to do and see as well.

Google Stowe Notch Road and see what it looks like. We were stunned by the scenery there.

In that general area

Ben and Jerry's Factory

Cider Mill

Waterbury - wineries and microbreweries

Shelburne Museum (place could give you days of fun)

Shelburne Wineries

SHelburne Teddy Bear factory - kids love this place

The Whiteface Mountain HWY is very scenic, but it is a long detour to get to Quebec CIty.

nyc
Level Contributor
649 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

bogwoppit - Thanks. I am now looking at staying in Burlington,VT on the way down from Quebec. This will allow some time (good part of day) to explore the area: Burlington waterfront/downtown, Teddy Bear Factory, maybe Shelburne Museum, and a drive thru Stowe Notch Road.

On an unrelated question - perhaps you are someone else knows: Do any of the area Walmart's sell Saratoga Springs Sparkling Water (blue bottles)? In the past I bought them in the Lake George/Queensbury Walmart. I am thinking of driving towards there to I-87 to pick some up,

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

I know that water, in fact I have one of the empty bottles on my windowsill, last time I was in Burlington I was able to buy it at the Hannafords grocery store. Perhaps you can call and ask if they still stock it.

Also another stop I forgot to mention is the Wine and Cheese Traders in Burlington. A simply awesome stop for lovers of both, huge selection and great pricing. We were pointed to it by the owner of an area vacation rental.

The cider mill on the Waterbury to Stowe road is a great stop too. They sell hot apple donuts by the bag, yum, plus you can see them make the cider as well.

nyc
Level Contributor
649 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

Thanks again for the suggestions regarding Vermont.

Would you suggest staying in a hotel in downtown Burlington - close to the waterfront park (more expensive) or a bit further away? How is it in terms of finding parking near the waterfront area?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

I often stay in Shelburne (South Burlington) often better prices there, plus it has you right by the Teddy Bear Factory, winery and museum. The country store is cool too.

The water front is beautiful, but I just cannot fathom the crazy high prices there.

Driving in Burlington is very easy and parking is quite plentiful. It is a pretty laid back city.

10. Re: Driving from New York to Quebec City (and back)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15