We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

Any recommendations for companies offering whale watching excursions out of Tadoussac or Baie St. Catherine? Are most of the operators more or less interchangeable?

I think it would be more fun on a zephyr than a larger boat, although I'm prone to seasickness.

I'm also looking at a family kayak day trip from L'Anse-Saint-Jean called Fjord en Kayak. Has anyone done this, and if so, what were your impressions?

Thanks in advance.

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

Look on the Quebec City forum for a discussion about this. We just came back and saw quite a few whales from shore. There are also kayaks that can be rented in Taddousac it looked like.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

I have not been to Tadoussac for 2 years, but visited many times since 1985. I never had trouble with sea sickness on the zodiacs, but if you take a ferry across the St. Lawrence, such as from Riviere du Loup to San Simeon, it can be rough and nausea-inducing. The companies are fairly interchangeable; a lot depends on the boat driver/guide you get. We have been out with Cie de la Baie, now owned by AML, Otis, Neptune and Essipit. The latter two you pick up east of Tadoussac at Grandes Bergeronnes - beautiful territory. Be sure to visit the GREMM interpretive center in Tadoussac for an excellent orientation. Watch whales from right outside the building. Also, great shore lookouts are: Pointe Noir (right across the Saguenay from Tadoussac) and Cap de Bon Desir, about 45-miniutes east.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

Thanks for the info, Oboemom and Tellurian. We'll definitely stop at the interpretive center you mentioned, and probably drive on to Grandes Bergonnes to pick up the zodiac.

Also, we are, in fact, taking the ferry from San Simeon to RIviere du Loup. So with your seasickness warning in mind, I intended to be drugged senseless for the crossing.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

You are welcome. Don't make yourself sick with drugs for the ferry; I used to use dramamine and the like, still get sick sometimes AND be groggy and cranky. Then I discovered Transderm scop, i.e. "the patch" - worked great for me and only a little dryness as a side effect. When it was off the market for a few years, I tried used sea bands accupressure bands and taking powdered ginger tablets - low and behold that worked too. You might want to experiment with something that won't leave you senseless, since it is only a 90-minute crossing. Have a great time - I can't wait to go back.

Central UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

We are spending a week near Tadoussac, I too get sea-sick, especially when the engines are cut and the boat just bobs about. As this is an estury, is more calm? I was ok in the Johnson Strait.

Mikon

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

It depends on the day; sometimes the St. Lawrence is like a mill pond, other times, stormy. Don't worry though, you will be able to see lots of whales from shore lookout points, so if boats make you uncomfortable, you don't even have to go out.

New Jersey, US
Level Contributor
173 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

We went whale watching out of Baie St Catherine in August on a zodiac. The kids and husband had a great time but I was sea sick for the duration. I had taken dramamine type of pills but they didn't work. When I fly I take prescription pills that knock me out. I was curious what I think Tellurian wrote about ginger pills. Any suggestions about where I can get them or the dosage? Have I got it wrong or was it you who also went to Guadeloupe? We went to Guadeloupe last Easter and had a wonderful time but......I was quite ill on the plane from PR to Guadeloupe - I think the meds had worn off because it was later in the day and the 2nd flight. I hope we can get back to Guadeloupe some day - it was a great trip.........

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for whale watching/kayaking

Hi again - glad you had good trips to Quebec and Guadeloupe, despite the motion sickness. You can get ginger capsules in any "health" store or online through Vitacost or other such outlets. Two capsules every few hours worked for me. Yes, I have been to Guadeloupe too - and love it. Last trip, in '04 we spent a few nights on Terre de Haut in Iles des Saintes offshore and loved that too.