We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog River

Oshawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Dog River

Hi there. My family is planning a driving trip from Ontario to British Columbia this July. One of the places our boys would like to stop is Rouleau aka Dog River. We are wondering what is there and about how long we would need to have a look. We appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog River

> We are wondering what is there

Not much, by the looks of it. ;-) Wikipedia says the population is 453. www.townofrouleau.com/‎ There is a section on that site, under the "About Rouleau" tab, about the TV show, Corner Gas.

Your subject title is what caught my interest, and a google search pulled up this CBC story from 2009:

cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/disused-corn…

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,762 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog River

hi

just move the yellow guy around to have a virtual tour around town. http://goo.gl/maps/rbBuH

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog River

Rouleau is a small town south of Regina. The Corner gas set sits on the westerly side of town on the North side of Hwy SK39. I have not been there for a couple of years, but I still believe the set is still there. The building was a souvenir stand a couple of years ago. A couple of venture companies were donating the money to keep the site maintained.

Roleau isn't any different than any small town or 'siding' along the numerous country highways in Saskatchewan. You can drive up the main street, and down a couple of residential streets. Maybe see the school, a couple of churches, the town park, and the community center/curling rink. Should only take you minutes to see the town. Will likely take you longer just to drive there.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 06:08
Sk. Canada
Level Contributor
230 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog River

Get your boys into geocaching if you haven't already. There are a lot of geocaches to be found in that area.(as well as worldwide). You could look where they are and plan stops accordingly.

When we were there we were able to go inside and see the set and get the tour. They sell some souvenirs and ice cream. Got a Corner Gas mug! It took about 15 min not including the geocaching in the area.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog River

Hello!

I live in Rouleau and have to agree with WidmarshSK that the town tour will take about 10 minutes. if you drive slowly :O)

The Corner Gas set was a souvenir stand last summer but you couldn't go in the diner, only the gas station. A friendly local guy, Sylvain, has set it up and was running it last summer - I expect it'll be open again this summer (it's closed for the winter still).

We have a gas station/convenience store that is quite overpriced. There's a CIBC if you're passing through on a weekday and need a bank. Otherwise there's not much else for businesses in town of interest to tourists - Lisa's Cafe closed in November. The Dog River hotel is currently being renovated and hopefully will open in May. It is being re-branded as the Rouleau Bar (R-Bar) and will sell beer, food etc. If you need a place to stay or actual groceries wait until you get to Moose Jaw (52 kms away).

Safe travels!

Centreville...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog River

One would think the property would be more valuable branded Dog River Hotel with the bar intact and renting rooms to Corner Gas tourists.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1 post
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog River

We were visiting Dog River on May 20, 2014 and just happened to be at the Dog River Hotel, the same day that they announced that they were going to make a Corner Gas movie modeled after the six year TV show of the same name. The artistic director and set engineer were in the hotel discussing the set and required props while we were there….. Cool. The bad news was that the Corner Gas movie set (Corner Gas station and the Ruby restaurant) and the Dog River Hotel will not be accessible to the public during the June-July filming.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog River

Yeah I was going to say, now that the movie has been announced, the traffic should be picking up again. (Or be closed to filming)

9. Re: Dog River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2015, 18:15