We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some good nature spots (Rivers, Valleys, Lakes)

2 posts
Save Topic
What are some good nature spots (Rivers, Valleys, Lakes)

I have been away from Sask and just recently returned for work my girl friend came with me she is German I would like to keep her entertained as I assured her Saskatchewan is a fun place now it seems ive covered Regina in one night. If you could give me some ideas people thatd be great.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are some good nature spots (Rivers, Valleys, Lakes)

Saskatchewan definitely is a good place for rivers and lakes and the occasional valley. You might want to start with the provincial parks. If you are located or central to Regina(hopefully you are)then there are some provincial parks nearby. Closest should be the very busy Regina Beach, and Rowans Ravine further out along Last Mountain Lake. Then to the West you have Lake Diefenbaker and the pretty cool Quapelle river dam. To the east, you can access the lower Quapelle Valley chain at Fort Quapelle>> http://www.saskparks.net/OurParks

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are some good nature spots (Rivers, Valleys, Lakes)

Hi. In Regina there are tons of walking/biking trails through the extensive Wascana park and trails system. The legislative building and Royal Saskatchewan Museum are both within the main Wascana Park in central Regina around the lake. They are both worth touring! The art gallery is also nearby and also worth a look if you're into that.

If you're wanting a nice scenic drive and some lakes/creeks you could drive north from Regina on highway 11 to Lumsden and tour round the nice little town then start down the #20 highway to Craven (don't miss the ice cream stop just outside of Lumsden!). From there you could go north to Rowan's Ravine (as mentioned above). That park is nice but the beaches aren't fantastic. Or you could also go east out of Regina and turn north just past Balgonie to get to Echo Valley park, Fort Qu'Appelle (nice little touristy town with a great real French Canadian restaurant), Katepwa Lake and many other lakes and small parks. The beaches at Katepwa are better than Rowan's in my opinion. That drive is also very nice.

Diefenbaker Lake is a huge lake made by a dam, so there's the river coming into it. The town of Elbow is a little gem in the prairies. You'll wonder why we sent you out into the middle of nowhere on a very bad highway, (a stretch of #42 is really rough right now but managable) until you suddenly see this fantastic sandy lake/river pop out of the bald prairie! The beaches all along the river and especially in Douglas Park (just south of the town of Elbow) are fantastic! Really! White sand, sailboats, fishing, houseboats, you name it. This park is about 2 hours from Regina.

Also, the touristic downtown of Moose Jaw is very interesting. You can tour underground tunnels underneath the streets, an old fashioned trolly with guided tour, the Western Development museum, murals painted on walls of the buildings, a lovely walking/biking park with paved trails in a pretty little valley full of birds, (Wakamow Park) and some great places to eat or have coffee. I know this isn't rivers or lakes but there's a great geothermal pool at the Temple Gardens spa and it's a great downtown to stroll around in.

There are a few ideas to get you started! If you want more information you could message me or check Sask Tourism's website.

3. Re: What are some good nature spots (Rivers, Valleys, Lakes)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2016, 07:16