We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north of Regina trip

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
north of Regina trip

I am trying to organise a surprise trip to Regina for my husband. It appears to be off the beaten track as far as tours are concerned ,o I aim to do it myself.

His father was one of three men from the north of England who sailed over to Canada from Liverpool on the MS Montcalm in the 1920’s. They went in response to a plea from the Canadian government for experienced farmers to go there to open up the prairies. He was sent to a farm one hour north of Regina and his nearest neighbour was a day away. My husband has always wanted to visit the area where his father spent so much time.

I realise that there is no chance of finding the exact location, but it would be great to be able to tour the area to get a flavour of what his father saw all those years ago.

My plan is to fly to Calgary then go to Regina and work our way north and around, coming back to Calgary via Jasper and Banff. We will finish the trip with a few days at the Stampede in July.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to stay just north of Regina, preferably on a farm/ranch? Does this sound like a feasible trip in two weeks? I was thinking of staying 3-4 days in this area and we’ll be hiring a car.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: north of Regina trip

I have rented cars & SUV's for work purposes and have to travel on some very rough gravel roads. Most car rental places offer additional insurance and that covers any and all damage to the vehicle. On gravel roads - well to be honest even on the highways - you risk stone chips in the windshield and on the hood of the vehicle.

One thing to request is a vehicle with a GPS. They are wonderful to use when you are in an unfamiliar city. Also make sure you have an international drivers license if you are going to rent.

12. Re: north of Regina trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 14:19