We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow

Which Regina hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex UK
1 post
Save Topic
Snow

I am hoping to move to Regina in the next 3-4 years but really do not want to live in the city but have been told that if i live to far out rural that in the winters i will not be able to get into work?

Can anybody think of an area that would be ok to move to just out side the city?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow

The prairies are drier than other parts of Canada, and receive less snowfall in winter. That said, we're not immune to the occasional blizzard.

If you live in a town that's just off of a highway, you shouldn't be too concerned. Major highways are cleared first after a snowstorm, then secondary highways.

If you live on a farm or acreage, your roads may not be cleared as often as a town that's adjacent to a highway. The snow will become ice as its driven over and packed down. Severe storms can make some roads impassable until cleared. The road surface may be a bit uneven and bumpy. I'd invest in a truck or sport utility vehicle with four wheel drive to power through it.

Regardless of where you live, count on some extra time commuting to work in the winter. Accumulations of snow can make any road surface slippery, forcing people to slow down.

Have you thought of a specific community in which to live? I am familiar with Regina and the surrounding area.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow

Hi Stevo,

I lived in Regina for 14 years and really loved it. Regina is a relatively small city by international standards - about 150,000 people in the city proper. Break and enters in vehicles tend to be the worst crime problem. (Or at least that used to be the way it was - I haven't lived there for 8 years.)

The worst winter storms generally happen in December and January. You can generally count on about three weeks straight of temperatures in the -40 celsius range, the windchill will often reduce the temperature to -50 or 60. It sounds awful, but you dress accordingly and don't stay outside any longer than you have to and it really isn't that bad. The favorite joke in Saskatchewan is "Sure it's cold here - but it's a DRY cold!" Believe it or not, that really does make a big difference.

In terms of small towns close to the city, Balgonie and White City are both just east of the Regina city limits. Balgonie is about 20 km and White City/Emerald Park are closer, I'd say about 10 km. Emerald City is very expensive, I'm not sure what your preference is for housing. These 2 towns are both on the #1 highway and the highway is divided all the way to the city, which can make the commute a little faster. If you want to go further east, Fort Qu'Appelle and Qu'Appelle are both nice towns, about 45 and 30 minute drives respectively. The added plus to these two towns are the close proximity of the lake resorts - Fort Qu'Appelle is actually along two of the five lakes in this area. Summer can be a lot of fun there.

North of Regina, is Southey (go figure!) which is about a 30 minute drive from the north side of Regina. Lumsden is a really nice small town north east of Regina and again about a 30 minute drive. It is also close to a lake, Regina Beach. I have spent a lot of my summers out at Regina Beach. Lumsden would be one of my top recommendations, actually.

West of Regina within 25 km are the towns of Grand Coulee, Pense and Belle Plaine. These are all really small towns, I would guess 500 people or less in each. Real estate is definitely cheaper in the smaller centres. These towns are all on the #1 highway and it is a divided highway.

Further west on the #1 highway brings you to the city of Moose Jaw, which is also a really nice city to live in. It is about a 45 minute drive to Regina's west side. Moose Jaw is a city of about 40,000 people.

Southeast of the city on the #33 highway are Kroneau (less than 100 people, about 20 km out) and Sedley, which is about 50 km out of the city. Sedley is actually a nice town, but it is smaller and has limited services. I'm not sure there is even a grocery store there anymore. But I have a lot of friends and family there, so I am rather partial to it!

You will find people in Saskatchewan to be super friendly, especially in the smaller towns. But if you're going to get through the long winters in Sask, you'll have to find a hobby. Curling is a die-hard Sask sport, as is hockey. Most winter activity in the smaller towns centres around the local skating & curling rinks. Golf is a big summer activity, and so is swimming. There are a lot of beaches and camping opportunities in the province.

I think you'll probably end up really enjoying Saskatchewan. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you. If you decide to live in Regina proper, I can tell you which areas are the best for housing and schooling and what areas to avoid.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow

There's also the town of Pilot Butte, only about 10 km east of Regina's industrial park in the northeast.

If I had my pick of all the small towns around Regina, it would be Lumsden. It's in the beautiful Qu'Appelle Valley - much nicer than the flat prairie. It's close to the resort towns of Regina Beach and Buena Vista, and only 20 min from Regina.

If you're curious about the weather, you can check the current conditions anytime in Regina at the link below. It's the forecast directly from Environment Canada, the country's national weather service.

…ec.gc.ca/city/pages/sk-32_metric_e.html

You can check highway conditions at the link below. Highways 1, 6, 11 and 33 are the major highways that go through Regina and environs.

http://roadinfo.telenium.ca/shwyw.html

arbor creek
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow

Is Regina your first choice? I've lived in Saskatchewan all my life, and I think Saskatoon is far nicer and prettier than Regina. There are many places not far out of the city that you can choose to live without being directly in Saskatoon. If this interests you at all, let me know and I will give you whatever info you need on Saskatoon.

canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow

I second the motion Saskatoon is prettier than Regina.Also afew more smaller towns close in to Saskatoon. We also don't seem to get the winter storms that the south part of the province get. Around Saskatoon there are two towns to the north with population over 5000. Good highway access etc.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow

While I also prefer Saskatoon, as I have lived here for the last 15 years, I don't see what's so bad about Regina. I was born and raised there, and I thought it was a perfectly fine city. Since living here I have heard enough Regina-bashing to last a lifetime, and most of it is undeserved.

Since stevotom's original post was about places to live around Regina, let's stick to that topic. If he's inclined to move to Saskatoon and area, we can all help him with relevant information.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow

daryl, THANK YOU!!! for giving Regina the positive support it really deserves. I really loved Regina and I am really sick of people constantly putting it down for no valid reason. while i was not born there, i did make it my home of choice for a long time. it's really a nice city, with so much to offer to anyone.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow

What's interesting about Regina is the total building boom on the East side in the last few years. It wasn't long ago that there was basically nothing on the east side of the Ring Road. Things have definitely changed.

Sooke, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow

Well I moved from Coastal BC about 7 years ago to Regina. For me, it living right in town in the Cathedral area that is best.

Still seems like a small town to me, with everything in walking distance.

Out side of town, Lumsden would be a good choice. About 40 minutes west is Moose Jaw a community of around 35,000.

I think the one thing you will have to get used to moving from the UK is the distance.

For example, Saskatoon is around 260km away. Less than 5,000 people live in the communities on the hiway between the two!

Regina, Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow

Qu'Appelle is a really nice little town, it is double lane trans canada highway all the way to regina (30 minutes), and rarely will u find the snowfall keeping you from work, the department of highways are out in full force fast being the #1 highway and all.

The community is tight knit, and has a grocery and hardware store with everything you could imagine..Regina is close enough to go for most things but for the majority you can get it right in town, it also has a butcher, bank, convenience/gas station, a couple restaurants, mechanics, school, post office, saskatchewan government insurance office, 5 or more churches, skating rink, some beautiful parks(creekside)and to top it all off it is only a short drive from the scenic Qu'appelle valley, I am sure ive missed some things but its definetly a great community i would keep in mind.