We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribou Migration

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
1,107 reviews
Save Topic
Caribou Migration

Bucket list time, always wanted to see migration, is there a way by plane,raft, canoe, hike etc to experience this. Any outfitters package this?

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribou Migration

The huge problem - the reason that even living in Whitehorse I haven't seen it yet - is that the route and timing vary a lot. The people who know where they are (Renewable Resources) won't tell us because we'll go up and disturb them. Some day I'll hear of someone who has encountered them on the way up or down the Dempster Highway and make a mad dash.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,031 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribou Migration

Before reading the book "Being Caribou", it seemed to me too that seeing a migration would really be a great experience.....but after reading it, it seems to me that any humans anywhere near, greatly interfere.....I'm with Murray, just "happening" onto this type of animal behavior would be best.....

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,908 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribou Migration

You can also watch the film "Being Caribou" on the National Film Board website: http://www.nfb.ca/film/being_caribou/

4. Re: Caribou Migration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 06:23