We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tombstone Territorial Park

Red Lion, PA
Level Contributor
37 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Tombstone Territorial Park

In August I will be on a Holland America cruise/tour stopping for two nights in Dawson City with an optional side excursion to Tombstone. Any advice on specific tour areas of this park? Options include: Chapman Lake Coach Tour; Exploring Along the Dempster Highway; Grizzly Lake Hike; Hart River Road Hike; and North Klondike River Hike. I'm hoping for splendiferous scenery, wildflowers, etc. I'm hoping that someone has visited here before and can offer some words of wisdom. Thanks for your help.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tombstone Territorial Park

The best option of all would be to spend a week or two camping and backpacking in the park... :)

You can't really go wrong with any of those options. It's an interesting drive to Chapman Lake; there is quite a change in landscape. I don't know what the difference would be between that and exploring the Dempster.

The hike to Grizzly Lake climbs and descends a large hill, so I'd doubt you'd go all the way to the lake--probably just to the excellent viewpoint at the top of the hill. (It would have been a lot better if it wasn't so cloudy when we went.)

We didn't do the other hikes you mentioned, but I don't think they involve as much climbing. The North Klondike River valley did look very bushy however.

Hopefully you'll have some time to see some of the interesting historic sites in and around Dawson City as well.