We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time RVers in Yukon

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
1st time RVers in Yukon

Hi everyone

We have booked an RV for 9 days in June and plan to do the Dempster and some of the Alaska Highway. Some questions:

1. Is it possible to just pull off the road wherever and sleep, or will we need to book into official campgrounds? If the former is not legally allowed, and we took all precaution not to damage the environment, would we be likely to get into trouble?

2. Do RV camps in late June get very booked up - i.e. could we potentially get stuck if the limited RV spots on the Dempster get booked up ahead of time?

3. If we do camp outside of the RV parks, how long might our water and stove and fridge work for if we aren't hooked up? We have hired a small van but will be frugal with energy usage as we see it as camping with a nicer sleeping situation :)

4. If you're a regular RV user and had to advise someone who'd never booked one before, what would be the three top tips you'd give?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give us in the way of advice.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

Welcome to the forums Imani.......

If you will be dropping down to Haines for any part of your trip, it is legal to camp along the road.....there are some nice pull outs that are right on the ocean.....no need to reserve, first come, first served.....

Ask the company you are renting the RV from about how long the water and propane will last......I'm sure it varies depending on the model you are renting.......

I have never seen very many RV campers in a government campground at any one time......you should be able to camp in them without reservations......not sure about the private ones......

I envy your having an RV and the freedom to go wherever you want in the Yukon......so I am looking forward to reading tips from other folks.....

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

Hi Mombear!

That is great information, thank you. We were hoping we could park up for the night outside of the RV parks and get a taste of wilderness/quietness, even if we can't get very far off the road apart from on day hikes, so it's great to know that is possible near Haines. Do you know if that's also the case up on the Dempster?

I too am really looking forward to hearing what other more experienced folk have to tell us!

Best wishes,

Irmani

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

On all of the Dempster Highway and much of the Alaska Highway, there are more government campground spaces than there are people who want to use them. Pulling off and camping in rest areas is legal unless it says otherwise - there are few of those signs, most of them being close to communities.

If you really are frugal with your use of water and power, both should last the entire 9 days, but there are many variables so it's best to ask to renter.

I think that you'll find that a campervan is one of if not the best way to see this country, as you have almost total flexibility. Always be sure that you're well stocked with more propane, gas and food than you could possibly use before going up the Dempster, as being self-sufficient makes the trip much more enjoyable and less expensive (because you can stock up at lower prices in larger centres).

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,114 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

You are aware, I hope, of the need to camp "bear aware"? env.gov.yk.ca/environment-you/bearsafety.php

This isn't a page about the Yukon, but here in the national parks in the Rockies, we have a "bare campsite" program, and the same ideas apply: pc.gc.ca/eng/…camping-propre-bare-camp.aspx

Happy camping! Would love to read a trip report afterwards!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

hi

this is a link for RV info on the TA road forum tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c187230/Califo…

This one is a good blog about camping even though on a motor cycle the blog covers some good tips about travel in Alaska. warrenhenke.com/blogs/…day-4-haines-alaska

the one thing about rental of an RV is the bedding which is usually extra. I would confirm what is included when you rent and would think about bringing good sleeping bags if you plan on doing wilderness camping and saving power. Between 5 and 6 am; with no cloud cover; is when you wake up shivering when you do not have good cover. It tends to ruin the rest of your day. (-:

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

There are, indeed, limited spots along the Dempster to overnight. Tombstone is one of our favourites, good hiking in the area, very scenic. Otherwise, there aren't too many limits on where you can pull over to enjoy an evening. Occasionally a gov't campground is closed due to a recent wolf kill - the wildlife has priority and if they've taken a caribou down and are feeding, you won't be able to camp nearby.

Yukon gov't campgrounds are only $12 per night, with free firewood. A great bargain and you know you'll have a good space. In June, things are still quiet. Not many tourists venture up the Dempster so no worries.

We've toured most of Yukon by RV, including the Dempster. All documented at suethomas.ca

We tend to drycamp away from campgrounds but also favour Yukon gov't campgrounds which are very nice too.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

You can also checkout

rvnorth.com

to find current fuel prices, road conditions, rv parks, campgrounds and much more

Mandurah
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

Thoroughly engrossed in your blog.

We are travelling from Australia in September for a 14 day RV trip from Ancourage to Seattle through the Yukon and BC, so I'm madly reading anything I can.

Sally

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice - we had a brilliant trip and the propane lasted the whole 9 days as we didn't use the heating overnight. The Tombstone campground and nearby hikes were truly amazing (and we did spot a Grizzly, along with wolves and a wolverine). Your advice was much appreciated!

10. Re: 1st time RVers in Yukon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:16