We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route would you pick ?

Auckland
Level Contributor
457 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Which route would you pick ?

Hello,

Trying to decide between 3 routes and would appreciate thoughts on which would be best and most achievable in our time frame of 15 nights once we pick up the RV.

The first option is fly to Whitehorse, take the 37 down to Prince George and back up the 97 then on up to Dawson City, Tok, Haines, Skagway and back to Whitehorse.

Second option - just focus on the Yukon part and forget the 37 and 97

Third option - Vancouver - Jasper - 37 to Whitehorse - Dawson, Haines, Skagway etc. We have managed to get a one way rental with a $750 one way drop off fee !!

We live in NZ, this is a big trip for us so we need to see as much as possible and not averse to driving long distances but also don't want to be so tired that we don't appreciate the places.

Thanks, we have had some great advice so far but now just cant decide ......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route would you pick ?

$750! That is just crazy!!

Auckland
Level Contributor
457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which route would you pick ?

Agree it's crazy and I don't like the thought but part of the cost is covered by only then needing a one way airfare to Whitehorse from Vancouver

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which route would you pick ?

hi AucklandShelly

option 1 is really not feasible in 15 days in a RV https://goo.gl/maps/JGsqr

option 2 this is a northern adventure tour that is easy to do in 15 days. and would allow you to stop and smell the meat roasting on the open fire leaving out Tok but driving as far as Destruction Bay on #1 https://goo.gl/maps/8yzrD

option 3 this is a road trip where you spend way too much time in a tin can and not enough to enjoy the scenery from a campsite for a few days, https://goo.gl/maps/8yzrD

having put these on a map, looked at the driving times and km covered, if you want to enjoy this trip option 2 wins hands down if you want to be one with nature.

if you want a road trip to tick off the boxes option 3 is doable but not necessarily enjoyable in a RV. In a car and motels maybe.

By the way the $750 drop off fee for an RV is not crazy. Whitehorse is way off the beaten track and it needs to get back to Vancouver with not as many takers compared to the Vancouver-Calgary corridor. It is 2,400 km and 30+ hrs of driving on the shortest route.

ps you need to add at least 20% more time to the drive times posted on google maps. This is based on an avid RV tripper on the Oregon TA forum.

cheers

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which route would you pick ?

For the most astounding variety of scenery and no back-tracking, #3. I'm in the middle of the Vancouver-Whitehorse part of that trip (without Jasper) right now (in Smithers), and I'm doing it in a U-Haul truck in 4 1/2 days. Fifteen days doesn't give you a huge amount of exploring time but it's certainly doable.

Auckland
Level Contributor
457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which route would you pick ?

Thanks for the responses, we have discounted 1 and 3 is proving tricky to arrange as we cant get an RV from Vancouver to Whitehorse only the reverse and I really want to do . So its the Yukon at a steady pace so we can actually enjoy the place. CruiserYT enjoy your trip, I cant help be a little envious but maybe we will have to save it for next time when we can include Jasper and have a wee bit more time.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which route would you pick ?

15 days in an RV in the Yukon......you really cannot go wrong with that......Hope you get a chance to drop down to Haines on your trip !!......

Auckland
Level Contributor
457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which route would you pick ?

Haines is absolutely on the list. Just need to sort out an RV and a route now, do you think we need a 4wd RV as planning to do top of the world and still working on my husband to ok the dempster !! Will we be ok to just turn up at camp grounds in Aug or do we need to book ahead?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which route would you pick ?

4 wheel drive is not necessary for the Top of the World Highway......some of the road is gravel but it is well traveled and usually in good shape.......

There are some wonderful campgrounds in Yukon in great locations that usually have very few campers.....I have never been to one in the summer months where you would need to make reservations.....Kathleen Lake near Haines Junction is a wonderful place to camp.......

Here in Haines, the campground at Chilkoot Lake is very popular and sometimes fills up in August, but I think that is first come, first served.......if no room there, you can just pull off any of the road turnouts and camp.....most of the pullouts overlook the water, so if you don't need hook ups you might want to try that.....

Auckland
Level Contributor
457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which route would you pick ?

Thanks for the response, reassuring to read about the Top of The World as there are a few stories out there that make it sound rough. Would you recommend a 4WD for the Dempster? Ideally we would like to leave it until closer to the time and judge the weather before making a call on the Dempster, I would prefer not to book ahead.

Any thoughts on RV rental companies?

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
462 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which route would you pick ?

No need for a 4 wheel drive on the Top of the World or the Dempster. I've driven both many, many times in all manner of vehicles, but mostly highway motorcoaches. Any of the 4 RV rental companies in Whitehorse are good - Fraserway, CanaDream, CruiseCanada and Klondike RV. There are many other companies online who claim to offer RV rentals here but are just brokers.