We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

I'm from Sydney Australia, I haven't ever been overseas for a major holiday.

Nor have I experienced such cold climates.

I'm looking for adventurous winter holidays involving the northern lights, aurora borealis tours, husky dog sleds, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, glacier walks, Rocky Mountains.

I want to see the scenery and animal wildlife.

Can someone please inform me on previous experiences.

Your locations, your guides, and travel agent websites that is best for me to see the things I want.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

Do you have a budget, or a length of time in mind for your trip??

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

No budget or time limits as of yet, I'm very willing to suggestion. To see what is on offer

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,935 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

HI

Welcome to the TA forum

you will get your best answers after you have done some research such as"

How much does it cost to fly to Whitehorse - www.kayak.com is good place to start.

how much are hotels or B&B in Whitehorse

google: snowmobile excursions dog sledding etc.... and see what you find for rates.

then you will know if you can afford it.

If you can not afford it, it is no use TA posters giving you scenarios only to waste our time because you have blown your yet to be determined budget and can not get there.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 03:56
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

No.,. Cause I want to know prices of it all so I know my goal budget ....

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
445 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

From Australia, start with $6,000 as a budget for 1 person. The excursions you're asking about are very expensive here, as well as the $2,500 air fare.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 04:26
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

>> No.,. Cause I want to know prices of it all so I know my goal budget ....

We are not paid travel planners... if you want to know that sort of information, the best source is to start researching. Besides all the resources available here on TA other than the forums (Traveller Articles, attraction, accommodation and restaurant reviews etc.), there are official tourism websites for every region or destination. Each of them wants you to come and visit, so they try to put all the basics there - what to do and see at various times of the year, tours and attractions, accommodations, how to get there and to get around etc.

One strategy I use, when I am researching a country and not sure which regions to visit, is to "lurk" on the forums for awhile, reading and just soaking up information. I browse google maps, using map view, satellite view, and streetview, to try and get a "feel" for places. I google a lot. It does get overwhelming sometimes.

The glacier walk is a summer thing, whereas snowmobiling, dog sledding and northern lights are winter activities. So you will have to narrow down what time of year you want to come. For many destinations in Canada, the peak tourist season is in the summer time (June through September). For a very few places, such as Whistler, winter is high season.

Here are links to compilations of trip reports, one for the Canadian Rockies (which are primarily in Alberta, but also in British Columbia), and the other for BC:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g659487-c123791/Canadi…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c184601/Briti…

Here are some links for the Canadian Rockies, which meets some of your criteria - scenery, wildlife, sled dog tours, possibly northern lights, and possibly snowmobiling (outside of the national parks):

www.banfflakelouise.com

www.jasper.travel

www.pc.gc.ca/banff

www.pc.gc.ca/jasper

7. Re: Ultimate winter northern lights adventure Whitehorse Yukon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:16