We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

Which Whitehorse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

Hello friends,

I'm be traveling from Whitehorse to Fairbanks in mid-August. I've stumbled upon a few bus routes but am more interested in making the trip by car. I haven't had any success finding a car rental company which accomodates this one way trip. Any suggestions?

Is the bus a bad alternative? Can anyone comment on the route itself?

Thanks in advance for your help!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,672 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

Hi;

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars across the border, or have different pricing if the rental car goes out of the province or out of the country.

Some companies offer unlimited mileage / kilo’s, but only within Canada. The extra per mile / kilo charges can add up quickly, so be sure to ask in advance.

The cost of one-way rentals is much higher than a regular rental due to the drop fees charged, as the vehicle must somehow be returned to the point of origin, towed if necessary.

Ensure that the rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into the US. You may be asked by Customs when entering the US for this documentation.

Best Regards

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

There are no one-way rentals available. The bus, though, is a poor option if you want to see anything along the way, as it's an express service. It also doesn't go through Dawson, which IMO is a must-see. That leaves you with renting a car in Fairbanks or Whitehorse, returning it to the same place and flying as the best touring option.

Murray

Boston...
Level Contributor
86 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

Even in 1973 the road was good from Whitehorse to Fairbanks and beyond to Circle, Alaska, the end of the road at that time. It must be much much improved by now, if it was nothing to worry about back then.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

The trip being asked about happened months ago, but you're right that the roads are MUCH better than they were in 1973. Although that might depend on what "better" means to you - they have far less character now!

Murray

Boston...
Level Contributor
86 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

I do remember the character! Hard packed gravel roads, but all RCMP cars and regular travelers had cracked windshields. I had always wanted to go to the Yukon Territory since I was a kid, for obvious reasons e.g. like every other person my age, Sgt Preston of the Yukon, not exactly realistic RCMP fare but good enough for an 11 year old :). So the day after college graduation I took off with a friend of mine, his only condition being that he wanted to continue on in to Alaska. But my goal was to travel the Yukon. We went to Circle, AK, then back via Dawson and back down to the Alaska Highway, a mere 11,583 miles round trip from Boston. And this was done in a Volkswagen bug.

Boston, MA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

Indeed, the roads were in decent condition. There were a few rough patches, but nothing that slowed us down for too long. We ended up taking the Alaska Direct bus from Whitehorse to Fairbanks. The 'bus' ended up being a 12-seat van, packed to capacity. Although there wasn't much wiggle room, the intimateness of the van ended up being a good thing, and we were lucky to have such a knowledgable driver-Dave. We stopped at Kluane Lake to stretch- it was a clear day, and the scenery was amazing.. especially with the fall foliage starting to reach peak. Although the total travel time approached 12hrs, it was well worth the trip.

7. Re: Travel from Whitehorse to Fairbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Whitehorse