We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

Hi!

I am a young female traveller. I am about to book flights to Whitehorse to try to see the Northern Lights. I think i will be there about 9th april through to the 15th. I dont have a car, and it seems to be difficult to get around up there without one.

If anyone has any advice, experiences, anything about the northern lights, and things to do in Whitehorse, it would be greatly appreciated! Id love to hear stories about the lights and Whitehorse.

It will be a dream come true if i am lucky to see them :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

Hi Kit05Canada,

Welcome to the WHITEHORSE TRAVEL FORUM.

There is currently no Destination Expert (DE) for Whitehorse... so some of us try to fill in whenever we can. As you see, I am not a "local" but I can give you some basic info.

I did a quick TA SEARCH for you (the FORUMS are Searchable... just type in any keyword(s) to the SEARCH Box found at the top of any FORUMS List)... and unfortunately no-one has ever filed a TripReport on their visit to see the Northern Lights in Whitehorse... so you may find that "first hand" experience that you'll get in response to this Question may be limited (as you've discovered Whitehorse is a small and remote place... pop 20,000 aprox).

The SEARCH (Northern Lights Aurora) though did reveal that there are 4 Topics here in the FORUM... (Newest to Oldest - by Original Posting Date)

* Whitehorse in December (Feb 21, 2010)

* Aurora in Early - Mid December (Nov 6, 2009)

* Is 2009 a Good Year for Northern Lights (Feb 11, 2009)

* Northern Lights Tour Company (Sept 3, 2008)

* Where is the Best Spot to View Aurora by Driving Myself? (July 25, 2008)

You can either do a SEARCH to bring them up again... or just browse thru the FORUM (there is afterall only 3 Pages of Topics)

Out of the above you might find the first and last topics of particular interest... the first one offers a bunch of links on Aurora Borealis viewing, and the last info on Accommodations and Transportation.

This should get you started. You should also know that The Yukon Territory has a Tourism Association, their website is = www.travelyukon.com

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

Sorry, kit but if seeing the Northern Lights is the reason for this trip, save your money. You not only have only the remotest chance of seeing the aurora, April is the ugliest time to come here - past winter but far from summer, dirty snow everywhere. I live in rural Whitehorse and the Northern Lights have been pretty much a non-event this year, and we watch for them. Only 1 person I know has seen them and he just got lucky for a few minutes one night.

Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

Thank you for the replies, this advice is greatly appreciated.

Explorenorth06, Yes the whole reason for this trip is to see the northen lights. I am Australian but on a work visa here, but i will be heading home in May, im working at the moment and it I thought id make the most of trying to see the lights. Its something ive always wanted to see. I can imagine its not overly pleasant up north in April, as you said, its neither winter or summer! I greatly appreciate your advice, as I dont know much about Whitehorse or the lights, but if its svaing money to try again another time, then perhaps its much more worth while to wait. I am on a budget as a young traveller. I

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

When would be a good time to come to Whithorse to see the lights?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

Hi cruisindiva;

The Northern Lights (aurora borealis) are an atmospheric phenomenon, and very hard to predict. Research has shown that the auroral activity is cyclic, and peaks about every 11 years. The next peak period is 2013.

The most often times to see the Aurora is from September to October and from March to April. Usually the best time of night (on clear nights) is midnight local time.

For more information;

http://www.northernlightscentre.ca/

spectacularnwt.com/whattodo/…aurorawatch

Best Regards

6. Re: Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2010, 14:50
7. Re: Northern Lights _ Whitehorse in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 05:16